Wardrobe fitter wants 50% deposit before starting work should I give it to him?

parkmagic

Getting wardrobes in, costing 10000 but fitter wants 5 grand before starting work as deposit, in the present climate should I give him this? Well known if small company.

Re: Fitter wants 50% deposit before starting work should I give it to him?

I wouldn't, small companies in the present climate could fold, you are in control of your hard earned money, I'd give him 10% ie €1000

It's fairly standard to pay for the materials up front as (especially small companies) can't afford the cash flow. Can you pay by credit card ? If not, agree to pay for the materials when they are delivered to your property...at least that way, you'll have the goods even if they can't complete the work

This is a catch 22 situation. There is a lot of people who get jobs done and don't pay so tradesmen look for deposits. Also people get work done by tradesmen,pay them and they don't come back. What you need to do is probably renagotiate the deposit figure.

I'm speaking from personal experience on this because I've been burnt and probably so has this guy. Weigh up your options I think. Good luck either way.

It's fairly standard to pay for the materials up front as (especially small companies) can't afford the cash flow. Can you pay by credit card ? If not, agree to pay for the materials when they are delivered to your property...

This is a very common practice.

If you are talking about wardrobes that are being custom-made for your home, I can see where the trader is coming from. What if a customer has a change of mind (or financial circumstances) after time and materials have been committed?

I'd check out the trader as far as reasonably possible and, if everything looks good, I might pay 50% on strict conditions: not far in advance, but immediately before work commences, and with an installation date fixed for not too long after.

Seems I've been a bit harsh with my previous post, but €5000 is a lot of money??

€10,000 is a lot for wardrobes and would certainly not give €5,000. As one previous poster mentioned €1,000 is enough in these troubled financial times. Too many people losing deposits these days.

definitely reduce the deposit, the dave garvey situation on joe duffy not so long ago had plenty of people pay hefty deposits 'for materials' as it was 'common practice' only for the work to go undone and money lost.

€10,000 is a lot for wardrobes and would certainly not give €5,000. As one previous poster mentioned €1,000 is enough in these troubled financial times. Too many people losing deposits these days.

Sliding wardrobes in 5 rooms with one walk in, its reasonable I think

Thanks folks, will suggest a grand as deposit. What of he does not go for it? terrible hassle trying to get someone else in at this stage?

Sliding wardrobes in 5 rooms with one walk in, its reasonable I think

Could you agree staged payments as he completes the work.

Ie. €1k in advance. €1k as each room is done.

And balance on the morning he finishs last room.

Park I think €1k won't be enough. His material costs will likely be a fair bit more than this. Maybe ask him if you can pay the material supplier directly? That way you own the materials at least and will have them if this guy lets you down.

Park I think €1k won't be enough. His material costs will likely be a fair bit more than this. Maybe ask him if you can pay the material supplier directly? That way you own the materials at least and will have them if this guy lets you down.

I agree that €1k is no where near enough. you may want to chat with installer sooner rather than later.

Paying the supplier directly is probably a bad idea. If there is a problem with the materials after they are fitted not down to installation, the installer has every right to tell you "go back to where you bought hem". He will only guarantee materials he supplied.

A thousand euros is not a lot of money for materials. Remember, he has got to assemble some in situ. I'm sure some other bits are custom made. Will he accept a post dated cheque for 5k (dated the day of delivery of materials)? I would be more worried about his supplier going to the wall, rather than him. Explain your thinking to him. Hope all goes well.

That's a good point Davy. But in those circumstances the op would have recourse to the supplier ... It will mean that he will have to manage the situation more but at least he would have some security for the money he pays over.

I'm trying to see this from the point of view of the fitter, from a "well known if small company". I think some of the suggestions here are so one-sided that I would walk away from the job.

30% should cover his material costs. I think that 10% is un-do-able.

I'm trying to see this from the point of view of the fitter, from a "well known if small company". I think some of the suggestions here are so one-sided that I would walk away from the job.

Explain what you mean Padraifb please?

Back