Quote for drains, septic, percolation & paths

Birroc

Got a quote for the following (Labour and Materials)

Put in all pipes and drains and connect where appropriate to Septic tank
Install septic tank
Build and fill percolation area
Put down paths around the house
General tidy up of 1 acre site (flatten, clear, spread topsoil, move and bury rocks etc)

all up €9,000.

is this good or bad?

i am not sure but materials are pretty expensive

septic tank is 750 euro

drainage stone, pipe, concrete for paths, screed, hire a whacker if required, all those AJ's are expensive too i believe,, the labour,, could well end up about 9k but as always i am sure there is room for improvement,

BTW, do you need to have a suitable qualified person from or approved by the local authority oversee the tank and percolation area.

at the same stage myself here,

A septic tank can cost anything from E500 to E10000 so unless we know the cost of the tank its hard to comment but I would say that this sounds like a reasonable quote.

Clonboy, generally, in the country at least, you just need to have the tank supplier commission the tank. When your contractor is installing it, make sure he does it as per supplier's instructions and take photos of every stage for your engineer/council, etc.

thats correct baldyman,, just asking the q of the OP, i just had mine comissioned today by an approved person from the council list of qualified over seers, if thats a word:D

luckily i only needed a std septic tank, not one of the bio cycle onesv

The septic tank is 750. I am going for a standard concrete tank and a large percolation area. Are there special commissioning instructions for that ?

That sounds very good to me,I got quoted 20k for same thing 6 months ago,quote came from good friend too(told him to take a run & jump)

Birroc,

That doesn't sound too bad as I was quoted about €6,000 for labour only and I am probably looking at a tank about €2,000 to €3,000.

birroc, is was a condition of my planning that the percolation should be approved and supported by photographs etc, so i just called the guy that did the original percolation test, and now he will furnish the report or whatever is required, not even sure to be honest whats needed but its just a case of ticking the box isnt it,

will be very difficult look into it in 6 months time if questions were asked,

thats all i know ,,

Sounds very reasonable. The only thing is by having materals included in the cost its in the contractors best interest to use as little stone as possible. I would recommend going labour only and spending that bit more on extra stone for the percolation area. I would also recommend a greasetrap between the kitchen sink and the soakaway. one last thing is I would make the path wider at the back of the house. If you end up putting bins, bbq, coal bunker or anything on the path then if its only a 3ft path you'll end up walking around it on the grass. I went with 4ft and feel I should have gone 5.

Back