Alternative to €100 charge for sky engineer?

Dublin3124

Hi all,

I want to move my TV to the other side of my sitting room. When I rang SKY they quoted me €100 to do this. I cant afford that amount. Does anyone know of an alternative?

Many thanks :)

Tell them you are switching to UPC who will do it for nought
and see what happens.

The guy who recently installed my sky hd box mentioned that my satellite dish was getting rusty and might need replacing. He said that sky would charge €100, but he could do it for €40 if I contacted him directly!

Might be worth checking out any local satellite dish/tv installers to ask what they can do for you (they usually advertise in local papers).

The guy who recently installed my sky hd box mentioned that my satellite dish was getting rusty and might need replacing. He said that sky would charge €100, but he could do it for €40 if I contacted him directly!

Might be worth checking out any local satellite dish/tv installers to ask what they can do for you (they usually advertise in local papers).
I would have a cheaper solution for that problem a wire brush, paint and elbow grease.

you can buy paint in just about any hardware shop now that you can apply directly onto rust. I think Hammerite is the brand. just remove the flaky bits and paint away ..

you can buy paint in just about any hardware shop now that you can apply directly onto rust. I think Hammerite is the brand. just remove the flaky bits and paint away ..
The point I was making is that you can't use any old type of paint on a satellite dish. ;-) (and i'm not talking in terms of rust - more to do with the basic functioning of the dish itself).

Thanks for the suggestions re the rusty satellite dish folks, but it doesn't answer the OP's query about a cheap way of moving the TV from one side of the room to the other :)

Hi all,

I want to move my TV to the other side of my sitting room. When I rang SKY they quoted me €100 to do this. I cant afford that amount. Does anyone know of an alternative?

Many thanks :)

Just extend the co-axial cable feeding the Sky box so it reaches to the other side of the room.

The point I was making is that you can't use any old type of paint on a satellite dish. ;-) (and i'm not talking in terms of rust - more to do with the basic functioning of the dish itself).
As long as you use matt paint it will not stop the function metallic paint will. Using paint from a spray can is best.

This is a very easy job, will take you 20 mins and cost you about ten euro.
Have a look at the Co-Ax connector going into the back of your SKY box, these are the silver metal connectors at the end of the white cable coming from the dish (There will be two of them if it is a SKY + box)
Go down to PowerCity/Any electrical hardware store (Peats on Parnell st would be perfect)
Buy the same cable cut to the length you need (Allow an extra metre or two) Buy your connectors (1xmale & 1xfemale for each cable) go home and run the cable to where you want the box to be moved to & re-connect the cables to the box and to the original cables.
Bingo !

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the replies. I found what I was looking for on the Argos website and will get it tomorrow. Did not realise that I could do the job myself.

TwoWheels thanks for going into detail. Its exactly what I needed.

Ta very much :)

I've had some problems with Sky recently. Some channels give me a signal error, while some work, etc. I called them and they asked for 100€ to have that repaired.
I declined the offer and asked them to put me through with the cancellation team. They passed me with the manager instead who offered to send the technician for free.

It's worth a try. In the worst case scenario, you can cancel the cancellation online or calling them back.

(I declined the offer anyway, I'm sick of them :p).

thats the min charge for a call out for a sky engineer.

either try it yourself, or if you have the name of one of their engioneers ring them to do it for a nixer...like mentioned here it'll prob cost you about €40-50

dunno if you can buy that dual cable for sky+ by the meter in any diy store...you might just have to buy 2 separate cables

Thats the norm, Tell them you are cancelling your contract , Silverwake is right, Chin up and shoulders back when dealing with them, You are doing them a favour by keeping them in a job not the other way around, Best of luck.

Or you could try just typing your problem into google and see what fixes come back. Have tried it on numerous occasions and each one has worked fine.

Back