Paying off outstanding mortgage without solicitor?

mtk

hi
what are the mechanics of paying off the mortgage in full on your own home. Mortgage is with aib. Is it possible to do it without solicitor to avoid their fees?
Has anyone actually done this as preumably all you need to do is get the titlte deeds from the bank ?
anyone any experience of this?
many thanks
mtk

recently done it with ebs.. no need for solicitor.. I went to bank to pay off balance.. approx 2 months later, i got letter from bank asking where they wanted me to pick up deeds.. there is a bit of red tape here and you cannot get them straight on payment of balance, then had to write back to bank to confirm location.. then ring bank to agree pick up time.. bit long winded but got there in the end but no solicitor involvement

thanks for comments looks like i will contact aib then and take it from there... hopefully removing mortgage will be straight forward enough with land registry

mtk
Don't forget your mortgage insurer. You will need to contact them also. I think its always a good idea to send written confirmation to your bank that the mortgage direct debit is to cease.

Fianlly I just paid it off and got final statement showing zero balance :)
I guess afer some buraucracy i will get deeds ( tell them where to send them ( which branch) and then collect them etc) as stated previously by chillips
Another basic question !!
Any suggestions on how to store them?
is it a big deal if they get lost ??

when we paid off our mortgage with EBS they sent us a brochure for a company that stores documents.such as deeds. We had just assumed over the years that we could keep them in a safety deposit box but those dont seem to exist anymore.

Your solicitor will have to request deeds and will also have to request that the bank's interest be removed from them.

Your solictor will hold on to them for safe keeping.

There is no need for any solicitor involvement.

The bank will remove their interest once the mortgage is discharged.

it doesn;t sound from call to aib i need to involve a a solicitor so thankfully no need to pay those vultures ( no offence )

Back