Divorce & Negative Equity

Sabatha

Hi guys,
I'd like some advice please... a bit green about the whole thing.

Bought an apartment for €350K with ex husband in 2007. He decided the leave the marriage and we've been separated for almost 2 years. When approved, I was earning 30K and him 36K. He paid for more household expenditures than I did. Equal payments on the mortgage

Ok... so divorce pending in around 2 years. My questions are:

1. What happens when property in negative equity and neither party can afford to take over mortgage (Very unlikely) - will neg equity be split into two personal loans - we're talking around 150K of neg equity btw
  2. I've a new partner whose only earning 19K approx a year meaning we wouldn't get the approval on a 350K mortgage. Is there anyway the amount owed can be adjusted by a judge?
  3. My ex's family have a lot of money. His father is a business man with millions worth of assets. Does this come into account? (In that i know his father will pay off his neg equity no problem)
  4. Does the fact that he walked out on me give me any lee way on the final judgement?
  5. Unfortunately I stupidly paid off a car loan for him of €4,500 when we met. He was the only driver but since we split he told me i'll never have a claim on his car. I can't afford to run a car because my mortgage is so expensive, and I wondered if I'd any chance of seeing some of that money again?
  6. Does anyone have any general advice for me to avoid a massive personal loan in 2 years which will stop me from making a decent life for myself with a new partner and trying to start over?

Sorry for the long list but really can't find any advice on the topic at all.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back