Reversing External PVC Door.

Lex Foutish

The passageway from our utility room to the back door is only the width of the door. The door opens inwards and (with the door handle against the wall) narrows the passageway even further. Not great when wheeling out the bins etc. It's a pva door in a pva frame.

Would it be possible to take out the door and frame and re install them with the door opening outwards?

Yes, it sounds like a sensible idea, but make sure to put a restrictor on the top so that if the wind catches the door it won't let it slap back against the reveal.

Would'nt be room for a sliding door if the passage way is only the width of the existing door, plus a sliding door only opens less than half of the opening.

you would also have a security issue as the glass is secured from the inside which would be outside and easier to remove. also the capillary groves for diverting away water are also now going to be facing inwards.

you would also have a security issue as the glass is secured from the inside which would be outside and easier to remove. also the capillary groves for diverting away water are also now going to be facing inwards.

Hi Donee. The door is internally glazed and obviously, if reversed, would then be externally glazed but all my pvc windows are this way already so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. (Good point though).

Also, outside the door is a lean-to and rain cannot get near the door, though good point also, thanks.

I'm sure it is possible to switch it around. I got a new pvc back door and was offered the choice of it opening out or in. I opted for out as a bit tight for space inside. Haven't had any problems with it, expect always make sure I shut it on windy day so it doesn't swing back.

I know someone who did this and the hinges are on the outside. It would be really easy to unscrew the door off.

If I were you I'd take this opportunity to rid yourself of that travesty of a PVC door. Put in a decent timber unit and slap yourself on the back every time you look at it.

Take the opportunity to replace with a good composite door. If you reverse you will have probable security issues with glazing and hinges. Always go for the BS standard of Secured by Design where possible.

Any door that opens out will have the hinges on the outside, never heard of anyone taking the hinges off to break-in, it would not even come into my security senario

Gosh, now you have me worried. Though I vaguely remember that the guy fitting the door saying it was safe. I will have a look at it when I get home tonight.

If I were you I'd take this opportunity to rid yourself of that travesty of a PVC door. Put in a decent timber unit and slap yourself on the back every time you look at it.

Don't like exterior wooden doors. Lack of insulation and too much maintenance.

Any door that opens out will have the hinges on the outside, never heard of anyone taking the hinges off to break-in, it would not even come into my security senario

When ordering a door you will have the option of a door opening in or out. Internal hinged doors are not suitable for external hanging. The hinge pin can be easily removed and the door popped out.
Also glazing strips can be pulled and glass lifted without a whisper. This has been demonstrated by our suppliers as part of Secure by Design accreditation.

I don't really know anything about the hardware of PVC,so please excuse my error as its all timber joinery that I deal with, with a timber door it would be the same hinges whether it is conventionally hung (we would always use ballbearing hinges) or adjustable lift off hinges for Multipoint Locking Doors.

Back