Safe registration for a public services card.

vandriver

My wife has just got an appointment letter for Safe registration for a Public Services Card.This involves a 40 minute meeting at a city centre social welfare office and producing many different documents..
However,I can't for the life of me work out why she has been called for this,as she works full time,and is not in receipt of any sw payments.
Are there any repercussions if the letter is simply ignored?

Do you have children that she receives Child Benefit for? If so - well that's a payment from the DSP. I wouldn't ignore it anyway and a simple phone call can sort out any confusion.

Do not ignore this, and by the way if she has all her Papers and the required ID with her it only takes roughly 10 minutes.

Just because she is not claiming any benefits at present does not mean that she will never need them in the future. If she became ill, she may be applying for her illness benefit.

Every one nationwide will be called in for this eventually and issued with their new card

I phoned the Safe department at the city centre sw office ,and they cancelled the appointment saying that they were concentrating on sw recipients at the moment.They couldn't explain why the appointment had been made.

Vandriver ,,I phoned the number at the top of the page and there is only a voice mail, letting callers know that the said phone number is only for appointments. the number on mine was for amiens st 01, 8172640 Gandon House. What number did you ring as i want to ask them a couple of questions, my problem is similar to yours.

i have just got through to the phone number i quoted for the dublin region regarding the New Public Services Card, 8172640. the lady i spoke to said, that if anyone was born in the republic of ireland and they DIDN'T have their long birth cert that was no problem as they had the facility to look it up. when i told her it would be difficult for me to get over across the other side of dublin for 9-15 she informed me that i could call in anytime including lunchtime. she also told me that gandon house was straight across the road from connolly station.

Got my letter about this today. It says I have to bring my passport and my full birth certificate (showing my mother's birth surname). My passport has all my current I.D. on it so why would I need to bring my full birth cert unless this is some sort of Big Brother plan to collect other information?
Also if I have a passport why do I need a SAFE card. (I am not eligible for free travel). My passport has been fine up to this.
When I am eligible for free travel will I have to go through all the hassle again to have this card updated?

It says I have to bring my passport and my full birth certificate (showing my mother's birth surname). My passport has all my current I.D. on it so why would I need to bring my full birth cert unless this is some sort of Big Brother plan to collect other information?

Your passport only has your name and date of birth.
Those aren't enough to uniquely identify you so they need additional data points, usually the mother's maiden name.

I would imagine that they have everything else on file about you except your photo and I am not sure why they need this?

They do have it on file, the issue is in making sure that they match the correct details to the person getting the card.

Those aren't enough to uniquely identify you so they need additional data points, usually the mother's maiden name.

.......and photograph. You can travel the world with a passport. Why would the Social Services need your mother's name so you can collect a social welfare payment or get a bus pass? Your current passport should be sufficient.

So say you have a common name, such as Sean Murphy.
Your passport shows that yes, that is your name, and your dob is 1/1/1960

So they look that up on the system and find 3 such people.
How do they confirm which is your record?

So say you have a common name, such as Sean Murphy.
Your passport shows that yes, that is your name, and your dob is 1/1/1960

So they look that up on the system and find 3 such people.
How do they confirm which is your record?

But when you call to collect your card you are asked to bring the letter that they sent you. You are asked to bring a current utility bill with your address on it. You are asked to bring your passport. You are asked to bring your current Social Services Card and or Free Travel Pass. Is this not enough identification?

Why do they need your full birth certificate with your mother's name on it plus other personal details.

How will your mother's name identify you when you go to collect your New Public Services Card.

When I am eligible for free travel will I have to go through all the hassle again to have this card updated?

I am in the same boat. I am not eligible for free travel pass yet but I am being asked to call and collect this card. I don't want or need this card. However it appears that it is compulsory. (It says on the letter that if you don't collect this card you may have your social welfare payments suspended).

I will have to retire at 65 from my job. I cannot get my State Pension until 66. So I will have one year in limbo on Social/Jobseekers whatever...Am I being forced to get this card or I won't have this payment made?

Also when I reach Free Travel time will I have to call again to have my card renewed...

I am in the same boat. I am not eligible for free travel pass yet but I am being asked to call and collect this card. I don't want or need this card. However it appears that it is compulsory. (It says on the letter that if you don't collect this card you may have your social welfare payments suspended).

I will have to retire at 65 from my job. I cannot get my State Pension until 66. So I will have one year in limbo on Social/Jobseekers whatever...Am I being forced to get this card or I won't have this payment made?

Also when I reach Free Travel time will I have to call again to have my card renewed...
Could be wrong ;
But I think the new card is being ramped in to give better fraud prevention protection , means that by the time you get card you have cleared all the hurdles in claryfying who you are.It will be a small nuisance to set up but when done
It means you now have a One Card effective system.
eg . it will have your photograph.On the older non-photo system you still needed a card to access payments.
Having had to get one of the new ones myself I could only look at it as a positive more up to date change. I understand Dept SW has in place all protocols in place to protect any potentially sensitive info.

If you wear glasses you will be asked to remove them for the photo. As I have worn glasses since I was a very small child I probably would not be recognized by most people without them.

Also the name on the birth cert is the one you must sign.
Say the name on the birth cert is JOHN and you have always been known as SEAN and your signature is Sean Murphy. You now become John Murphy without the glasses even though your passport signature is Sean Murphy and photo wearing glasses.

Back