Health Insurance Advice

Private accommodation with any health insurer is always subject to availability and there are no guarantees that you will get private or semi-private accommodation just because you are insured.

Yes but my point is that if you are non-VHI insured, you have almost a 40% greater chance of a bed being available

Hi Dee,
When did this happen ? You might get a bill in the post yet. Private scans are held in the same clinic in the public hospital. It would be normal for a private patient to have to pay. Either you haven't got the bill yet, or you got away with it.....

Honestly they didn't even ask me for any info. I just made an appointment by phone, turned up at the time, did the scan and walked away with the report. She didn't even save my name or address on the report as she has tech problems. She said it didn't matter.

Last edited:
Hi Dee,
When did this happen ? You might get a bill in the post yet. Private scans are held in the same clinic in the public hospital. It would be normal for a private patient to have to pay. Either you haven't got the bill yet, or you got away with it.....

Nah. I was told my the obs secretary it was free. All maternal and prenatal care is free in the public system anyway, thanks to Noel Browne.

On a side note, my daughter got diagnosed with diabetes last August and all care, initial hospital stay, consultant visits, equipment and medicine have been free, regardless of the fact that we have VHI cover. I must say I am impressed with the care she gets under the public system.

I am with VHI and was hospatilised in the U.S recently.
I handed in my card in the emergency room and was not even asked to sign anything. Everything and all scans were free.
I think that is a ridiculous situation that it pays to be out of the country when you get sick.

Sorry i do not agree with Brendan re no need to take out cover because T.G. you are young and Healthy and only contributing to cover for the elderly Etc.
A long number of years ago when i first got married and money was tight and my wife and I were young and healthy we were reluctant to join VHI, an elderly man encouraged us to join and his philosophy was it's a good year when you don't need cover and it's very good to have it when you do and who knows from year to year.
Insurance is peace of mind why do you insure your Life Your home, why do you insure your valuables.
In my own case i did not have any reason to claim for many years but i have recouped many times more than i payed into VHI in recent times.

rochs

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just go down to the next level of cover so I can skip waiting lists but go public for maternity.
Don't like the system the way it is, but if you can't beat it, all you can do is join it!

My consulant calls me for a colonospcy every 3 years due to a previous problem My gp now wants me to go for one due to unexplaned pain as my next due date is July 2010 will I be charged for this

My consulant calls me for a colonospcy every 3 years due to a previous problem My gp now wants me to go for one due to unexplaned pain as my next due date is July 2010 will I be charged for this

Reenbee, I'd recommend you contact your health insurer to confirm this, as it depends on the level of cover you have, where you're going for the scope and how long you've been covered by them.

Back