Motor insuring a convicted driver

jimmbo

Hi all

Just stumbled across this forum while navigating the world of motor insurance. As the title implies, I am a convicted driver looking to get back on the road. I'm hoping some of you will have experience with this matter.

First, some background. I was convicted of driving without insurance in late 2009. I appealed the decision in 2010 and the court found that I was unaware I was driving while uninsured (I foolishly missed a direct debit and my insurance was cancelled without notification). I could prove all of this, and the judge cancelled my fine and ban, but held firm on my conviction. As such, I have a conviction on my record, but was officially never banned from driving.

Since the appeal, I have been insured as a named driver on my father's van without incident. I have no points on my licence, and as far as I know, I have no endorsements (citizens advice bureau website says endorsements expire after 3 years). Will this stand to me? Is it worth applying to his insurers?

So my main question is: where, or with whom, am I best off looking for car insurance?

Obviously, I am looking to do this as cheaply as possible. I will most likely buy an old 1.3 or 1.4ltr car, probably only worth a grand or so.

I also want legitimate insurance. Looking around some sites, I've found that a lot of guys just look for companies that either don't ask questions, or for companies that assume we have no convictions etc. But these guys are essentially uninsured. The reason I'm doing this is to rebuild my NCB and my reputation with the insurance companies. I don't want to get in trouble again.

If it helps, I'm a 28yo male living in Cork City (doesn't bode well for me, I know). I'm finishing college in a year, and I think now is the time to get back on the road, in case I need to drive to or for work when I graduate. Sucks that a stupid mistake I made at 22 is still following me around.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer!

most insurance companies look only at last 5 years history of a driver...why dont you ring a few companies...they are most helpful..or pop into a broker and ask their advice/quotes etc....

as for mistakes...only some make them and they follow them around for a lifetime...its only a small thing and youv learnt a great lesson....

Presumably you told your history to your father's van insurers? If you didn't you might find that you are not insured under that policy!!!

Most insurers seek details of convictions in the past XX years. If your conviction was outside that period, ie older than then, they you do not need to tell them. bear in mind though, your initial conviction was 2009 and appealed. Therefore your conviction probably did not come into being until 2010.

If you approach an insurer direct, you should expect a sympathetic hearing as you were convicted of NO INSURANCE and now you WANT insurance.

Good luck

Thanks guys, you're right, I did learn a harsh lesson. I am considerably more careful with money now!

And yeah, my dads insurers are aware of my history.

I've been in touch with campion insurance, they will give me a quote Monday when I can give them exact details of my conviction (dates etc).

You should also talk to your fathers insurance company. If they know your history and were willing to insure you under your fathers name, then they might be willing to quote for you on your own.

As noted earlier some companies ask for details for past XX years but some, when doing a telephone quote will use the word "ever" so you just need to be careful with the question.
Late 2009 plus 5 = late 2014 so maybe worth waiting.
The other possible complication is that if you ask for a quote and they refuse to quote, as one of the questions generally is: " were you ever refused insurance? "

Therefore be aware of what the questions are and in this case if possible I would fill out a form and keep a copy rather than go the telephone quote route.
Good luck

Back