Motor Claiming from Car Hire excess insurance.

emeralds

Hired a car in France last month. Scraped slightly when entering a car park. On returning the car to the rental company this was noted. Was advised that Hertz would be in touch if they were going to charge for it. Charge of €370 on credit card last night. We took out car hire excess insurance before renting the car so I think we are ok...
Is it complicated and difficult to get reimbursed from the car hire excess insurance policy?

Check the claiming section of your policy. You do need a lot of paperwork. for example:

Please ensure you have the following documentation</SPAN>
  1. Copy of your Certificate of Insurance
  2. Copy of Rental Contract
  3. A copy of your Charge Receipt (if separate from the Rental Agreement)
  4. A copy of the Law Enforcement / Police Report (if applicable) for Damage / Loss over €75.00/€75.00
  5. Renters' copy of the Vehicle Rental Company accident damage report</SPAN>
  6. Invoices/Receipts/other documents confirming the amount you have paid in respect of Accident/Damage/Loss etc. for which the Vehicle Rental Company holds you responsible
  7. Copy of your credit card statement showing payment of the damages claimed
  8. Copy of the driving license of the person involved in the accident (the driver)
  9. Name and address of your bank together with the sort code and account details. This will facilitate reimbursement as the insurance company prefers to make payment directly to your bank.
Failure to follow these steps may jeopardise the reimbursement of your costs.

You do need to report the claim as soon as possible and usually not more than 30 days after the incident. There will be major pushback so don't give up. Hertz usually post out invoice for the amount other car companies have to be chased.

Thanks for that.
I called the insurance company on Friday so a claim form was emailed to us that afternoon. The lady I was speaking to was very helpful. We have all the documentation bar the report from Hertz which we will receive next week.

Just an update on this - we are still waiting for the incident report from Hertz. We cannot progress the insurance claim without it. We have emailed and called them at least a dozen times in the last 6 weeks. Have we any right to repudiate the charge on the Visa card until we get what we need from them?

This Company, CarHireExcess are a complete waste of money and will do anything to avoid paying out. There Terms and conditions cover all eventualities.
I lost my car keys this year in PISA and although it stated that lost car keys are covered they refused to pay out the €150 that hertz charged me to have the car towed away to after I got stranded without a key. They say they don’t pay towing costs.
If you notice on there site all the good reviews talk about there Website and how user friendly it is but very little user experience about anyone who claimed successfully..
And I found then rude.
Good luck anyway

This Company, CarHireExcess are a complete waste of money and will do anything to avoid paying out. There Terms and conditions cover all eventualities.
I lost my car keys this year in PISA and although it stated that lost car keys are covered they refused to pay out the €150 that hertz charged me to have the car towed away to after I got stranded without a key. They say they don’t pay towing costs.
If you notice on there site all the good reviews talk about there Website and how user friendly it is but very little user experience about anyone who claimed successfully..
And I found then rude.
Good luck anyway

Yes, but if you'd bothered to read the previous post you would have seen that the issue isn't (yet) with the excess insurance company, it's with Hertz not providing an incident report.

And I found then rude.
Good luck anyway

I have not found them rude at all. We have been in touch with them to let them know about the delay with Hertz (had a concern they would close the claim if they did not get what they needed within a certain time) and they were fine with it.

Yes, but if you'd bothered to read the previous post you would have seen that the issue isn't (yet) with the excess insurance company, it's with Hertz not providing an incident report.

Well Derek, if you bothered to read the title of the thread “Claiming from Car Hire excess insurance” you might realise I was sharing my experience of trying to claim so what exactly is you point if any?

Also I have just noticed a review I put onto there website a few weeks ago which was honest and fair and stuck to the facts which gave one star out of 5 has been removed. Now what does that tell you..

This is what the site says:

We reserve the right to delete a review if it violates our terms and conditions. In no other scenario would Trustpilot delete a company's negative reviews.

I must have broke another Term or Condition. What a Joke

Have we any right to repudiate the charge on the Visa card until we get what we need from them?

Worth a try if they are not co-operating.

I would be inclined to ask for general advice from www.nca.ie If its not their baby they might be able to refer you on to whoever can help.

Found this older thread (although probably not relevant to your case) very interesting.

I have had 2 claims with Car Hire Excess and they paid out both times. For small claims it is a lot of hassle to gather the info and submit but you are insured for what you are insured for.

Still waiting. Have been in contact with Hertz Ireland who have been in contact with Hertz France who tell Hertz Ireland it is being dealt with....I think the wheels of admin grind very slowly in France......

Still waiting. Have been in contact with Hertz Ireland who have been in contact with Hertz France who tell Hertz Ireland it is being dealt with....I think the wheels of admin grind very slowly in France......

They were very quick to take your money from your credit card. Maybe they should refund you this while they are sorting out their internal disfunctional processess. Which have nothing to do with you.

Right. Now have the documents from Hertz France that we need. We got them on foot of claiming a chargeback through Visa. That seems to have put a rocket up them. Have been on to the insurance company now and we have to email all the documentation to them.
Can't believe it was in August when I first posted about this. We have called Hertz 17 times and emailed 15 times - to no avail!

Claim processed. Cheque posted out two weeks ago. Didn't arrive. Wrong address put on envelope. Will be re-issued and should have it next week...

Claim processed. Cheque posted out two weeks ago. Didn't arrive. Wrong address put on envelope. Will be re-issued and should have it next week...

Have you received your cheque finally? I will rent a car with Hertz soon and I'm thinking to use the same insurance company. Thanks in advance!

Back