How to sell your house fast?

M

MissRibena

Hi everyone

It's the same old story. I want to buy a house and I need to sell mine quick to get funds to buy the one I want. Has anyone any tips?

I know about making it really clean and tidy but has anyone any other suggestions?

Thanks a mil
Rebecca

Hi Sarah

I've been thinking about this myself and while I'm not greedy, I don't want to be foolish either. I think the estate agent might be over-ambitious with the price for my house but then he knows the market better than me. There are no other similar houses in my area for me to gauge it by. Have you any guidance on this?

Thanks
Rebecca

Rebecca,

Remember that the (in your view high) price the agent quoted you was in the context of the agent bidding for your business. What evidence can they show you to reassure you it's reasonable?

All too often sellers get emotionally attached to prices which weren't realistic in the first place. And, of course, subsequent lowering of price sends out a signal that is not helpful from the seller's point of view. If you genuinely think the agent's suggestion is too high but you want to go with them in any event, why not instruct them to start off a few thousand lower? If they were right, the higher price should materialise during the sale campaign.

The rapidly rising market of recent years meant that if the starting price was too rich all you had to do was wait and general price increases would retrospectively justify the initial valuation. That's less likely now.

Don't forget to talk to your solicitor. He/she should be able to hold off closing on your purchase for many weeks in the event your sale stalls, often on seemingly spurious grounds. It's a dirty game but others would do it to you - don't feel too guilty...

Back