Motor Car Claim Advice

cgrvy

Hi,

I was recently in an accident where I hit another car and caused about €1,550 worth of damage to another person's car. I have an excess of €250 on my insurance and I believe I have Allianz Step Back no claims bonus protection.

My question is, if I make a claim against my insurance for this, will my premium go up and generally by much? Would I be better off paying the damange and not going near the insurance company?

Also, if I pay off the damage and then the person makes an injury claim how does that work?? The guy got out of the car and said he was perfectly ok, and when I spoke to him a few days later he said he was fine, but I would be worried that it would be his word against mine.

Many Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

The best thing for you to do is to speak to Allianz and they will be able to let you know approx. how much your premium will increase by over the coming years if you do claim. Check with them about the personal injury aspect also.

It depends how much of a bonus and how much they are stepping it back by. For example you have a full NCB and they step back 2 years. Technically the maximum discount applied to the policy is 30% so the nett increase is 20%.

However the rate they charge next year could be higher, not withstanding your claim.

Ok thanks for that.

Also - anyone aware of where I stand if I pay the damage and the person comes back in two weeks time and suddenly says they have back pain?! Can I go to the insurance company then or how does it work?

He already said he was fine, but its his word against mine...

No. Even if you intend to pay the claim yourself you are still obliged to inform the insurance company. If you tell them about the claim and say you are settling yourself, they won't step back your bonus. And if a personal injury claims comes in they will deal with it still.

There's no - his word against mine. He could legitimately develop pain in the next few weeks.

The excess only comes into play if you claim from your own insurance for damages or losses. Not knowing the specifics of your policy, (whether you are a learner, NCB %, years of driving, annual premium etc) it is difficult to be specific in replies. As suggested by Sue Ellen, you may be best off ringing Allianz to discuss further.

You say that €1550 worth of damages were caused to the other vehicle - depending on the age of the vehicle, this could make it a write off or the person may seek depreciation for their car (if its a young model). There is also car hire to factor in whilst their vehicle is repaired for instance.

Either way, whether you decide to settle privately or not, you are obliged to inform your insurer that you have been in an accident.

If it were me I would definitely go through the insurance and I'd have no contact with the other party. You have insurance, you've even insured your insurance with 'step back' but you're considering settling yourself. I think it's the wrong thing to do . . and what if you have another tip during the lifetime of this policy?

Back