Is barrister needed to go to court

siobhand1

I have a consent divorce my solisitor qouted me 6000=vat now says i need barister and cost 3000 and vat. house transfer 600=vat
the citizens advise sol said a bar do a pro draft 150 and consent 500+vat.
can i do these as i have no money for 3000. Its a bit over the top thanks for help

What did your solicitor say about the possibility and pro/cons of not using a barrister?

If it is a consent divorce your solicitor should be able to deal with it, unless (s)he anticipates some difficulty.

However I stay away from family law - too often a lot of bitterness, tension and anger there - usually more than in "odinary" litigation

She said i would need a barrister as thats whats the norm. Did I imagine that I was capable of doing it. And did I think she should walk to courthouse and present documents to judge.
She never mentioned barrister when fees were agreed.
And a lot of what if's scenarios.
I would have appreciated hearing this at initial consultation 3000+ is a shock I was expecting.

Thanks for reply I thought in diy non contested divorce exactly that. Flac told mea barrister draws up consent 500 and proceedings paper150 and solisitor should be well able to take it ftom there.
Its often quoted knowledge is power. Why is it self serving. Why do people use it to take advantage of their own kind.
Thats for another day its very frustrating.

infact you dont need a sollicitor or barrister to go in court but that is not my advice. If you cannot afford a sollicitor or a barrister you can try the legal aid board. If you are working you will need to contribute some of the amount.

If you are living in dublin you can go to dolphin house on east essex street. That is the legal aid board office for the family law. Or if you living somewhere else try to find out a flac centre or a lawcentre near you.

Back