Looking for advice on which new car to purchase.

dymo

i Need to buy a new car in the next few month.At the moment i am driving an MG ZR 03 and it has 104,000 mile on it.So i do not do a lot of millage possibly 10,000-15,000 per year.

At the moment i am looking at the Ford Galaxy zetec diesel,kia Creed, Hyundai i30 and the Audi A1.

With the ford i am looking at there 3year deal in which i have the monthly instalment of around 320 and then in 3 year i can buy the car out or get another new car.

I dont know a thing about new cars or what is better i what to keep it around 20,000-23,000 was looking at a 2010-2011 but with repayment it is much the same to go for a new car as a second hand car.

What would you reccomend.

The thing that stands out to me is that you say you are looking at "the Ford Galaxy..... and the Audi A1". You really are talking about chalk and cheese here: they are completely different in terms of size, features, running costs: pretty much everything.

My advice would be firstly to think through what you are looking from a car: how many people do you need to carry? do you do long journeys? what's important to you? what's not?

Once you've that sorted out, you can start to narrow the field a bit.

There is normally just the 2 of us but i do what the option for beaing able to carry 4.my millage would be roughly 15-18 miles per day and a bit of driving on a sunday so i would say i would do about 12000-15000 per year so not a lot.i what something that is cheep to run and fairly small as i will be driving it the most my husband would be olny driving at weekend i had looked at the fiesta but my husband will not drive it.

We recently bought a Ford BMax in Bray - great car. Very economic, plenty of space. Icing on the cake was that there was a swappage scheme for 10-year and older cars, so we were able to trade in our ML 500. At the moment, these cars come with a 5 year warranty. I'd recommend having a look at this.

With the ford i am looking at there 3year deal in which i have the monthly instalment of around 320 and then in 3 year i can buy the car out or get another new car.

[...] i what to keep it around 20,000-23,000 was looking at a 2010-2011 but with repayment it is much the same to go for a new car as a second hand car.
1) Read the small print carefully, and ask what the APR is. Car finance packages are a notoriously high-interest form of credit, and often have sneaky "gotcha" clauses burieed in the small print. Find out exactly how much that €20k loan will cost you over three years, bearing in mind that...

2) If you buy a brand new car, your asset will have depreciated by a few thousand euro as soon as you drive it off the forecourt. If you can do without that "new car smell", I'd suggest you save yourself a packet and buy a good two-year-old with a 3-6 month warranty from a reputable dealer.

Just my 2c.

Go and have a test drive in any of the Hyundai i20, i30 cars, it'll cost you nothing and you'll buy. Lovely cars, great value, plenty of extras and really cheap to drive. There's a 5 years free servicing offer right now, that's a saving of €1000 straight away. I have an i40 1.7 diesel and delighted with it, bought it new 2 yrs ago and I'll buy one again next time. Hope that helps.

Husband bought a new fiesta 13 yrs a go on hp....was a huge ball n chain....repayments 311.09 a month...interest was crippling....they def seen him coming....

buy second hand, even if only a yr old....id save and work your way up from cheaper brand...I drove kia for three years, fab cars, just trading in was an issue as I change the car every year....

2) If you buy a brand new car, your asset will have depreciated by a few thousand euro as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

A never to be resolved discussion, some arguing this is only relevant if you have to sell your car soon after driving it off the forecourt.

A never to be resolved discussion, some arguing this is only relevant if you have to sell your car soon after driving it off the forecourt.

Is irrelevant if you are going to sell it after 1 or 2 year or after 10 years. You should buy an 'asset' at the cheapest price you can. New= 25K, 6 months old= 20K, which is better value?

New= 25K, 6 months old= 20K, which is better value?

If you can save €5K, of course go for it, but are the savings really that high ?

I think many newish second hand cars are overpriced and in my experience garages are far more flexible on price with a new car, particularly for customers with no trade in.

The last time I bought, I got a new €20K car for cash, the best cash price on the same 1 year old model was only €500 less, which was better value ?

Like I said, never to be resolved, so many variables.

If you can save €5K, of course go for it, but are the savings really that high ?
In December 2009, for €10,000, I bought a '06-registered Octavia MkII 1.9TDi DSG automatic that was just about to turn four years old, but was immaculate and had only 32,000 miles on the clock. The exact same model was then around the €26,000 mark to buy new, and the garage was looking for €12K, "absolute rock bottom". But when I walked away they rang me within 10 minutes to accept the offer.

I've never had a day's trouble with it, and will drive it 'til it drops. Its book value today is probably not more than about €5,000, whereas a 2009 model might be worth twice that (like my own when I bought it, 3~4 years old).

€26,000 –€10,000 = €16K/5 years = €3,200 pa
€10,000 –€5,000 = €5K/5 years = €1,000 pa

One might quibble with those ballpark figures, and everyone has their own anecdotal experience, I suppose. I'm not saying that people who buy new cars are mad, but it certainly isn't worth that much to me personally to have a newer reg. plate sitting in the driveway. But hey, some people spend that much a year on clothes they don't need and golf club memberships they don't use... (we probably didn't really "need" the four or five holidays we had out of the €11K we didn't spend on getting a 2009 car).

However, if you're buying a €20K car on HP you will probably repay €25K, or possibly more. I'm just suggesting that the OP should crunch the numbers a bit more carefully and, above all, assume that the salesperson will say pretty much anything to get her to sign on the dotted line.

Enjoy your new car, dymo, whatever you get in the end! :)

P.S. ang1170 is right on the money with her comment about deciding what sort of car you really want/need, for what kind of driving. The models you've mentioned there (7-seater MPV, sports hatchback...) really are like chalk and cheese...

Back