Dumping in our skip

CBGB

We have a skip outside of our house as we are doing renovations. Every day, as soon as we head out, our neighbours dump their fubbish into it. We have a lot of building material to go in. this really bugs me as it costs €180 to get a new one and would only cost these tools €8 to get a bin tag - this is general house waste.

Would you approach your neighbours about this? We only moved into the area so dont want to get off on wrong foot - but they arent making a good impression on their new neighbours either. I did some snooping and found a letter and address so I know which house it is.

Would be interested in hearing what you would do!

One way to deal with it is to take it out dump it somewere call the litter warden and bang they get fined cause they found the letter in the rubbish dumped!!!!!

How much are they dumping in your skip? I know most neighbours in my area if they wanted to dump anything into a nieghbours skip would ask first.

Yes you are right to be annoyed and they are wrong to do this...BUT.
Think long term on this one.
Renovations are annoying for neighbours and they probably think this is the least you can do for them.

You really don't want to start a tit for tat escalation.
I would leave it TBH.

We had the same problem with a skip when renovating a house. As soon as we left the skip, there were mattresses, broken toys, household rubbish etc. dumped in it. So much stuff that we couldn't get what we wanted to remove from the house into the skip on the second day.

We just took out all the rubbish that didn't belog to us, left it on the kerbside and stuck a note to it asking whoever had dumped it, to remove it.

Most of it disappeared the following night, but the next day, new stuff was there again.

Only thing you can do these days with a skip is put everything you are going to dispose of in the front garden before you order the skip and have them collect it on the same day. Or put the skip in your driveway.

Granted you don't want to fall out with the neighbours but it is very cheeky, I would be tempted to leave it back onto their driveway :D

thanks. I was about to head over with the letter but decided to count to 10. I though it would be better to keep things civil. I'm still raging but am glad I didnt as I was talking to another neighbour who said they are nasty element. So good to steer clear.
I agree with the idea of letter near neighbours use it as it is ugl and annoying but this crowd are a good bit down the road so it doesnt interfere with them.
I did get to freak her out the other day. I was outside and she walked past.I greeted her with "Hi, Mrs XXX". She looking back thinking "how does he know my name?". I plan on continuing this til she asks!

I did get to freak her out the other day. I was outside and she walked past.I greeted her with "Hi, Mrs XXX". She looking back thinking "how does he know my name?". I plan on continuing this til she asks!
:D I think this is the best way to deal with the situation if it is only the one house dumping stuff. You should go even further and drop in a question about the letters dumped next time (i.e. "how is the move to airtricity going for you" or some such!).

No help to OP, but I feel a wish to underline how times have changed.

Years ago Herself and I bought a house, complete with contents. Most of the contents were of no use to use, so we ordered a skip and proceeded to fill it with damaged furniture, kitchen ware, threadbare mats, and other such stuff. [No, we were not being eco-unfriendly: this was in the days before recycling systems were established.] The neighbours did not put anything in. Instead, they scavenged, and the skip emptied almost as fast as we could fill it. We sent it away nearly empty.

Granted you don't want to fall out with the neighbours but it is very cheeky, I would be tempted to leave it back onto their driveway :D

I would do the same. Basic manners would suggest that you should ask before you go dumping you crap in a skip someone else has had to pay for.

We were renovating a house some time ago and had the same problem. I removed their material - cut grass, an old Christmas Tree, a bag of rubbish and dumped it on their lawn. I did this in the middle of the day and in full sight.

The neighbour stopped me a few days later and said that they were going to ask me and were going to pay. I told he that if they had asked there would have been no problem - that it was their slieveen manner that got to me.

It has been a few years. They have never spoken to me since nor I to them. Am I upset? Hell no! Who need neighbours like that living in your ear.

I have learned from experience that if you lie down before people like that, then you'd better be prepared to be walked on!

Is it not sad that nowadays we do not know our neighbours and this fact i think contributes to the action mentioned.

I don't think knowing them would make them any less ignorant.

I'm on nodding terms with the neighbour on one side and nodding and bringing bins in on the other, and long may it continue.

OP you wonder about getting off on the wrong foot with the neighbours? Strikes me they didn't offer you the same consideration. I would leave it back in their garden pronto and say nothing. You want to be a good neighbour not a doormat.

On the flip side, whenever I have had a skip here at mine once I have filled it, if there is any room left over I always knock my nearest neighbours to see if they wish to avail over the extra space

Maybe your could swallow hard and do the same with this neighbour then next time they may come round to civility and ask you before being so rude, a lesson learned to them maybe?

I had a skip recently, made sure it came & went in a day!
Didn't mind neighbours putting stuff in, as long as:
- I got my stuff in first.
- it fitted in the skip (i.e. not overflowing or left to the side).
- it wasn't household waste, paint, electrical goods, or other items that are not supposed to go in a skip.
- they knocked on my door to ask. Didn't happen in all cases.

We had the same problem with a skip when renovating a house. As soon as we left the skip, there were mattresses, broken toys, household rubbish etc. dumped in it. So much stuff that we couldn't get what we wanted to remove from the house into the skip on the second day.

We just took out all the rubbish that didn't belog to us, left it on the kerbside and stuck a note to it asking whoever had dumped it, to remove it.

Most of it disappeared the following night, but the next day, new stuff was there again.

Only thing you can do these days with a skip is put everything you are going to dispose of in the front garden before you order the skip and have them collect it on the same day. Or put the skip in your driveway.

This has just happend to me. I'm away, and have left my housemate in charge of getting a new couch for our house.

The skip was in the driveway, and is almost full of other peoples rubbish.

This is stealing and trespassing.

I like your idea of removing all the rubbish that's not yours and leaving it on the curb with a note... This is not our responsibility.

I had a very much smaller scale but similar problem with a skip last yr. It's damn cheeky of neighbours to do this. They have some neck. But I help clean the beach in Clontarf, and you see people coming down and dumping their rubbish in the public bins. I' also fished out a toilet suite, taps and all, from the sea a few weeks ago. Someone had just chucked it into the lovely sea, this mentality is beyond me. It would make you despair sometimes. BTW if anyone fancies giving a dig-out with a beach clean-up feel free to come along to it every 3rd Sat 11am at the end of the Wooden Bridge, Clontarf.

My neighbour dumped an ironing board and other bulky stuff in my skip - I caught her red handed and asked her to remove it as I hadn't finished filling it. She had the nerve to say that she didn't know it was my skip ( it was on the grass verge outside my house) she removed the stuff reluctantly. Next morning there was luggage in it, but the fools had forgotten to remove the name labels, It was the same person who left stuff the first time! I just delivered them back to their front gate. Had no trouble since. Words fail me when I hear about this type if behavior.

My neighbour dumped an ironing board and other bulky stuff in my skip - I caught her red handed and asked her to remove it as I hadn't finished filling it. She had the nerve to say that she didn't know it was my skip ( it was on the grass verge outside my house) she removed the stuff reluctantly. Next morning there was luggage in it, but the fools had forgotten to remove the name labels, It was the same person who left stuff the first time! I just delivered them back to their front gate. Had no trouble since. Words fail me when I hear about this type if behavior.

You're absolutely right.
And what gets me is that the culprits become so indignant when caught.

Back