Flight Query, Dublin to Seattle, transferring flights via Canada

FrCrilly

Hi All,

I’m planning a trip to Seattle later this year and could use some help in relation to flights.

I’m worried about missing connection flights due to delays and then having to pay an excessive airfare to get to my destination. To help minimise this scenario, my emphasis is to get onto the other continent on the first flight (for both getting there and coming back). I’m also trying to pick flights that will mean spending as little time as possible in a plane (eg taking curvature of the earth into account).

I’m thinking of flying out Globespan Dublin to Vancouver (Canada) and then Vancouver to Seattle with some local airline. Coming back I’m thinking of Seattle to London Heathrow (with either BA or Northwest) and then back to Dublin (with BA or some other internal airline).

I have 2 queries:

1. Does anyone know if there are any emigration issues with a connection flight via Canada. (ie would I have to go through emigration twice or are they virtually the one country in terms of emigration checks).

2. In this age of point to point flying, is there any advantage in being loyal to a full service airline in terms of getting to your destination in the event of a missed connection? (eg If I was to fly BA Dublin to London and then BA London to Seattle, but the Dublin to London flight was delayed for hours causing me to miss the connection, would a full service airline like BA have some form of backup to get me to Seattle without an excessive airfare?)

Any help with the above queries would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Personally I would fly Delta to Atlanta and from there to Seattle and the same on the way back.

That way you stay in the same country and by keeping with the same airline, if you miss a connection they will re-route you in my experience.

I frequently connect in Atlanta and would take that over Heathrow any day!

Okay if you want to minimise time in the air it may not be the best but to actually "guarantee" you get there and back is more than worth it IMO.

I would absolutely avoid Flyglobespan, I have no confidence in that airline based on hundreds of horror stories and I don't think they'll be in existance for too long!

A quick check on www.itasoftware.com is showing shortest journey time as a combination of Air France & Others as 13.5 hours. Delta via Atlanta is approx 3 hours more

I have 2 queries:

1. Does anyone know if there are any emigration issues with a connection flight via Canada. (ie would I have to go through emigration twice or are they virtually the one country in terms of emigration checks).

All Canada-US flights (from major Canadian airports anyway) pre clear US Immigration formalities before depature from Canada as far as I'm aware (They may also pre-clear US Customs too)

I do not know if you would have to pass through Canadian immigration while in direct international transit.

So you will certainly clear US Immigration in Vancouver, possibly also US customs .. and you may or may not have to complete Canadian immigration formalities ... i.e. allow plenty time.

Another option you could consider is I believe you can also get the train from Vancouver to Seattle (or drive) - it's not that far at all and it's supposed to be very pleasant trip.

2. In this age of point to point flying, is there any advantage in being loyal to a full service airline in terms of getting to your destination in the event of a missed connection? (eg If I was to fly BA Dublin to London and then BA London to Seattle, but the Dublin to London flight was delayed for hours causing me to miss the connection, would a full service airline like BA have some form of backup to get me to Seattle without an excessive airfare?)

Yes if it's all sold as one ticket, if you buy two separate tickets then they are under no obligation to do so (but in practice they will probalby sort you out)... still no substitute for decent travel insurance though.

Hi All,

I’m planning a trip to Seattle later this year and could use some help in relation to flights.

I’m worried about missing connection flights due to delays and then having to pay an excessive airfare to get to my destination.

If you buy a 'through' ticket the airline will be responsible for getting you there once you make it to the initial airport on time (at no extra cost). American Airlines, Delta or Continental are probably best if departing from Ireland as any of them should have several options for getting to Seattle if the incoming flight is delayed in any way.
I would not go with Globespan as there is no guarantee that they will last that long if recent media reports are anything to go by.
Aer Lingus offer Seattle as a through fare on their website so they may also be worth considering but I would ensure the second leg was with American rather than Jet-Blue as I do not know how the new Aer Lingus/Jet blue tie up will address problems in making connections.
All in all, I think American via Chicago (ORD) may be your best bet based on cost/convenience etc. Check out www.americanairlines.ie

Plus you get to clear immigration in Ireland.

I think American via Chicago (ORD) may be your best bet based on cost/convenience etc. Check out

Plus you get to clear immigration in Ireland.

No you don't!! The American Airlines flight to Chicago does not clear US immigration in Dublin!

The flight only goes through Shannon a couple of times a week. Colleague used to fly AA to ORD a lot but switched airlines because of this. Even if they did immigration in Shannon it adds 2 hours to the journey time!

Mr Wishbone goes to Seattle a fair bit and generally goes with SAS. The flight transfer in Copenhagen is about 1.5 hours on the way over, on the way back it's a bit longer 3.5 hours, but if you have access to the lounge it's quite nice. No terminal change. Copenhagen airport is quite pleasant and SAS is a very nice airline. His colleague prefers the BA route, but the terminal change etc is not nice not to mention leg-room is less in BA. Customs is done in the US both routes.

If you fly through Canada then you will have to clear Canadian customs and immigration. When flying within North American you clear customs at your point of entry, regardless of your destination.

Back