Taking cosmetics in handluggae

funnymunny

Hi,

This has probably been done to death but I can't find a thread. Feel free to post link if it has been answered. I have been on to Ryanairs website to see what is permitted in terms of cosmetics but I am a bit confused on some items. It says liquids are permitted, so does mascara and liquid eyeliner constitute liquid? Can you bring lipstick or pencil eyeliner? Its a trite question I know and I don't have a lot to be worrying me but would be grateful if someone could give me a definitive answer. I don't want to have to fork out money over there to replace stuff I have had to leave in the airport...and no I can't do without it either (well I could, but I don't want to)!!

I've always brought my mascara and eyeliner in my hand luggage, I put it into clear plastic bag and put it through security separately, never been a problem.

Me too, have taken them on 2 recent flights in my hand luggage, in a plastic 'sandwich' bag, just in case! No problems...

S

Thanks a million ladies. Good to know I won't be scaring the population of Poland with my naked face!

They are most certainly considered liquids, insofar as I can make out the only make-up items that are not affected by this rule are powdered items. I have seen people having to give up a lipstick in a couple of cases because they weren't in the little plastic bag. Just pop them in. Oh and be careful buying duty-free if you are transferring anywhere. I saw one woman lose a selection of perfumes that she had bought (and had wrapped!) in duty free .. as the bag wasn't sealed and she couldn't produce a receipt they took it off her.

Hmm my idea was that you have to buy it inside the duty free before you can put it inside the plastic bag and then take it on board ? I thought they put it inside the plastic bag and sealed it for you ???

Otherwise is there a way to bring my hair gel and toothpaste bought outside the airport on board in my hand luggage for example ?

my hair gel and toothpaste bought
I had a half used tube of expensive hand cream that I had to give to my BIL as because the lable said 150mls - despite this handcream being well used - they were about to discard it in Guernsey!

I always carry a Lancome Juicy Tubes Lip Gloss in my handbag and have never been stopped going through the security check and never think to put it in a clear bag.

I have also passed through security with lip balm in my handbag but not always. I think you can get away with it sometimes but if they decide to look or decide to pay attention they take it off you. And some airports are stricter than others in that regard

Not quite stir crazy. You could buy an elephantine tub of hand cream after security and they wouldn't bat an eyelid on the plane. The restriction is at the security check. So if you were planning on (for example) connecting via Heathrow to another flight, if you had opened said tub or taken it out of the sealed bag that they would have put it in in Dublin, or forgot to ask them for the sealed bag for it, or lost the receipt you'd need to be very good at batting your eyelashes to keep it!

Unless hairgel etc says on the tub that it can hold at most 100ml (the restriction on size applies irrespective of contents, so you can't get away with a nearly empty tub of flora margarine) it has to go into your checked in luggage. If it is less (toothpaste usually is either 50ml, 100ml or 150ml) then you can take it through security in your little plastic bag,

Last edited:
It's any liquid or gel in a container of more than 100mls. Womens make up stuff is included and it's the container size not what's in it that's relevant.

I gave my daughter a b'day present of a perfume set. She had flown up from Cork and was flying back. She had to leave part of the set because it was 200mls and she said it would be taken off her because she had lost perfume to the airline before when it was over the 100mls.

Ok another quick question. It might sound foolish to the seasoned traveller, but I have always either checked in luggage or was only travelling for a night so hand bag was enough. I will be carrying on hand luggage, can I also bring on a handbag (passport, wallet, camera etc) or would this be deemed as two bags? If you can bring a handbag, do they weigh this with your hand luggage?

Ryanair policy is only One piece of hand baggage including a handbg so if you're not checking a bag in you'll need to put your handbag inside your carry on. That's the theory anyway. You may get away with 2 pieces depending on the airport but make sure you have a plan b!

I usually get away with carry on rucksack and my separate handbag. Granted my carry on is usually abit under the weight restriction so if needs be I can stuff my handbag into carry on.

If you are flying back from England, make it a small handbag and have everything fitting in the main bag, as they are pretty strict on the one bag rule out of English airports.

If you do the checkin online, security don't check the number of bags (except at some UK airports, can't find a list though of the ones that they didn't lift the one bag restrictions on) so you can usually get away with it. Buy something past security to pop your handbag in with in case you are worried when getting on the plane!! Dublin definitely don't. For a return flight from the UK check the website of the airport authority.

Hi,

This has probably been done to death but I can't find a thread. Feel free to post link if it has been answered. I have been on to Ryanairs website to see what is permitted in terms of cosmetics but I am a bit confused on some items. It says liquids are permitted, so does mascara and liquid eyeliner constitute liquid? Can you bring lipstick or pencil eyeliner? Its a trite question I know and I don't have a lot to be worrying me but would be grateful if someone could give me a definitive answer. I don't want to have to fork out money over there to replace stuff I have had to leave in the airport...and no I can't do without it either (well I could, but I don't want to)!!
Hi,
just back from Fuerteventura with Ryan Air and hand luggage only.
I brought all my liquids including travel toothpase mascara etc;
Just put it in clear plastic bag (I use the zip lock ones for freezing) I take this from case and put it in tray going through security, never had a problem.

If each item is under 100ml there will be no problem.

Back