Best accommodation location in Rome

Mr Sparkle

We want to stay in apartment in Rome sometime in May. Which is the best location for doing all the tourist stuff (preferably on foot), but at the same time being able to get away from the mania and noise, very scenic, near to lots of less touristy restaurants, etc? Our choice is between the following areas- Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, St Peter's, Colosseum or Trastevere...

going to Rome too in may. tried all the usual hotel sites etc and found most hotels very expensive. any half decent one is over €1100 for 5 nights. But I found this site just a week or so ago and find they are cheaper for Rome hotels than any of the other sites ( hotel for hotel - date for date) Personally I am going to book somewhere near Termini so I can walk to the hotel when we arrive as I have read so may scare stories about Roman taxi drivers and ( cm is away so I can say it ) rip offs. using ryanair so will just bus it from airport to termini and take it from there.
cheers

have been to Rome a few times. Would recommend Hotel Oxford - not far from Spanish Steps and main Corza, which is very central to everything - all within walking distance. For eating out would Trastevere area - taxi to Trastevere doesn't cost much from there. First time I went stayed near Termini but didn't like the area too much, very dodgy late at night and quite a walk to the Colosseum/Piazza Venezia which is the most central part.

Just back from rome and stayed in the termini area I did not find it unsafe it was much safer than o connell st / abbey st area of dublin late at night. It was very convientient to travel to all sights by metro. It was a euro a ticket and you can go to all the main sights by metro or walking. It is an easy enough city to get around. We stayed in b&b giovy and we found it excellent about 80 euro a night. We booked through venenre it was clean and comfortable and a very good size en suite. Termini area gets alot of bad press but you get much more for your money in this area

The Villa Rosa, run by the Dominican Order, is very central - about 15 mins walk from the Collisseum and a couple of mins from the trams. We stayed there a good few years ago and friends of mine stayed there on my recommendation. Contrary to what one might think about religious orders they were very accommodating. When we were there - 1994, I think, we saw Rome on foot during the day and came back to the Villa around 5 in the afternoon. We were able to get either a bottle of (unlabelled) wine or beer from the fridge, for half nothing, to have in the lounge, before getting ready to go out for our evening meal. I don't remember prices but it was very competitive and needed to be booked way, way in advance. There are room options (which I didn't know before I went) of ordinary doubles with the bathroom separate or ensuite bedrooms on the ground floor which I presume cost a bit more. The only request made of us was not to use the lift after 10.30 at night because they get up at 4.30 or 5.00a.m. That wasn't a problem. Also they gave us a key and there is CCTV over the front door so it was very safe.

I have been to Rome twice, once staying in a hotel near the Termini and most recently (last week:)) staying in the centre of things, very near the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. I would say that the area encompassing the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Trevi Fountain is the very best area to stay in. Many of the main attractions are literally within just a few minutes walk. We did all the sights of Rome on foot without any bother. Even in this area the side-streets are relatively quiet so noise and bustle need not be a major issue. It is also very charming. Plenty of not too touristy restaurants down every little side street.

I can't advise on apartments but the hotel on our most recent visit, had to be the best located hotel in Rome - Pantheon 3 minutes walk one direction, Trevi Fountain 3 minutes the other direction but no noise at all at night. I would never consider staying in the Termini area again. It has limited charm and is reputedly less safe at night, although to be fair we never felt unsafe there.

We walked around Trastevere too and I would say that it is a bit out of the way. Probably would be ok if you have a fair bit of time available to you for sight-seeing. It wasn't as "charachterful" (unless you count the numerous beggars) as I was expecting to be honest but we didn't see it at night.

By the way, if you are in Rome over a weekend visit the Colosseum on the Sunday. The area around it is pedestrianised on Sundays and it is much nicer then.

Did read a fair few comments,especially on trip advisor about the area around termini. However most said the beggers etc didn't bother them and that were was plenty of police in the area (though this is not normally a great omen) . However while I did book in the termini area the hotel is about 8 mins walk away and hopefully in a quiet area. Having read the posts in trip advisor this hotel had no negative comments apart from being a little bit out of the way. www.marcellaroyalhotel.com The hotel was cheaper to book through a website than through the hotels website. though it still cost €1100 for the 5 days. As another poster stated elsewhere - this is one expensive city.

Check out the Hotel Alimandi Vaticano. It's very highly rated on tripadvisor. It's a beautiful boutique hotel directly opposite the Vatican museum. Myself and my wife loved the place and would go back every time we go to Rome. Very quiet at night too

Hi,we have just returned from rome this week we stayed at the palazzo cardinal cesi hotel below.the location of this hotel is second to none,directly accross the road is the tour bus stop where for €16 for 24 hours you can access all points of interest. there is also a taxi rank in st.peters square.there are several good resaurants within walking distance (over the bridge )there are quite a few beautiful churches and castles within yards of this hotel and the location is safe to walk at night.The hotel is very clean and comfortable,the breakfast is good and the staff speak english and are very helpful.should we return to rome we most certainly would stay there again......[broken link removed][broken link removed]

Back