Nervous Mother & Sun Holiday with 5yr old

tinal

Hi All
After having a bad experience in Salou with my son when he was 2 years old I have put off going on a sun holiday since and have stayed around ireland for the last 4 summers. However, my husband really wants to get some sun this year. I am still very nervous even though I know my son is older now and hardier. I am hoping that I can get a few ideas of where we could go that is not too far on a plane, has sun but not too hot and most importantly with a nice clean hotel.....

Thanks in advance
t

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, and while not wanting to pry, it's not easy to give specific advice based on your post. We always found Spanish island holidays with our kids to be very enjoyable, my personal favourite being Cala'n Bosch in Menorca. I think the flight is about 2 1/2 hours, then there is quite a long transfer from Mahon airport, but the resort had a lovely beach and loads of restaurants which were fantastically kid friendly. Any of the evening entertainment around seemed to be geared at least as much towards the kids as the adults.

If medical care is your concern, we needed to bring our son to a doctor, there was a clinic nearby which was very efficient and friendly. Medicines were so much cheaper there too!

You may consider self-catering with the facilities of a hotel, in which case Casas del Lago looked great, fantastic location, beside the restaurant area, lovely pool, across the road from the beach, and with an upmarket feel but not top price.

Cala'n Bosch has a couple of very nice hotels, they seem to cater for a lot of German guests so you need to get your towel out early ;), one we used to pass by was called La Quinta Resort and it looked lovely. I don't know from your post if security is one of your concerns, but there were also private villas with their own pools for rent in the area, and something like this might work for you? One thing about Menorca is if you're going in high summer air conditioning is a must.

That said, you can be lucky or unlucky with weather, we went to Majorca in May one year thinking it wouldn't be too hot - there was a heatwave and most days were over 30 degrees. But we put loads of sunlotion on the kids, kept them in the shade as much as possible, gave them loads of drinks and brought them in for a nap in the afternoons when it was hottest, and had a lovely holiday.

Wherever you decide to go, it would be a good idea to check out accommodation on Tripadvisor before booking.

Thanks TreeTiger for your reply. My son was sick whilst on holiday in Spain and whereas it was nothing serious, just a tummy bug for a few days, it has had an adverse affect on my wanting to bring him to the sun..(my husband constantly points out he could just as easily have had the bug at home)
I was considering heading to Jersey for a week but with the sterling rate and also Jersey appears to be expensive I am leaning towards Majorca and Menorca. I think I just need reassurance more than anything that all will be OK ;-)

Thanks TreeTiger for your reply. My son was sick whilst on holiday in Spain and whereas it was nothing serious, just a tummy bug for a few days, it has had an adverse affect on my wanting to bring him to the sun..(my husband constantly points out he could just as easily have had the bug at home)
I was considering heading to Jersey for a week but with the sterling rate and also Jersey appears to be expensive I am leaning towards Majorca and Menorca. I think I just need reassurance more than anything that all will be OK ;-)

Your husband is right he could just as easily have been sick at home. Similar thing happened my son on first foreign holiday but it was down to him not drinking enough fluids. After that I made sure to pump him full of water, also find a place that has a kids club which will keep him entertained and give u some time to yourself as it is your hol as well.

Tina, I can highly recommend the Prinsotel la Dorada apartments in Majorca, near Alcudia if you want to go self catering

Back