Which airline to Luxembourg

jph

Hi,

Does anyone know the most direct way from Dublin to Luxembourg. Thanks a mill.

A quick glance at the Dublin Airport website (Live Flight Information) suggests that only Luxair fly scheduled to that destination.

Post crossed with bacchus'.

I'm from cork and it is better for me to fly from Kerry - Frankfurt with Ryanair and get a train to Luxembourg. Its economical too.

Thanks a mill for your quick responses.

As a matter of interest how long does it take by train from Frankfurt? I hadn't thought of this as an option and it may be more economical - but as I've never done this before and am travelling alone I need to have all my plans in place in case I end up in Luxor by mistake!

I have flown serveral times with Luxair direct from Dublin to Luxembourg. As long as your staying more than one night their flights are fairly reasonable.

Thanks for that - do you have the website for online bookings? I have tried 'Luxair' but it doesn't seem to be the airline site.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies. It doesn't seem so daunting a trip after all!

I have flown Ryanair to Frankfurt Hahn and got the Hahn bus to Luxembourg, it's long enough though - 1hr 40mins. About €22 each way

Hello JPH

I lived in Luxembourg for several years. The direct Luxair flight is definitely the easiest way to travel. Nice planes too, leather seats etc - a bit fancier than the Ryanair option and they give you a nice glass of cremant (like cava) plus food on the way. It can be more expensive, but if you book far enough in advance you can get it for a lower price. By the time you factor in train tickets or bus costs using alternatives I usually found that the difference was minimal and was worth the time saved.

You could also fly Ryanair to Frankfurt Hahn and then take the bus from Hahn. There are scheduled buses from the airport to the train station in Luxembourg, schedules might have changed since I was there but I always found that the bus schedule was not always convenient to the Dublin flight time, and you'd spend a while sitting in Hahn airport (this would not be the highlight of your trip).

Alternatively you can fly Ryanair to Charleroi, and take the train from there to Luxembourg. This takes about 2.5 hours, and you have to change at Namur.

The website link I have copied below will have details of European train times, not just German. It will detail any connections you would have to make also. Looking at this it would take 3.5 to 4 hours from Frankfurt to Luxembourg. It's not direct as you would have to change at Koblenz and Trier.

[broken link removed]

Hope you have a great time there, it's a beautiful city and there are some fantastic places to eat out at a fraction of Irish prices. I take it you are going to meet friends or family, but PM me if you want any info about restaurants/bars etc.

Thanks for so much helpful information. I have checked out the direct Luxair from Dublin and looks the best option at this stage.

I'm going to a meeting in Luxembourg so it will just be a flying visit as it were - going out on Sunday and back on Tuesday but I would really appreciate any advise re accommodation, restaurants etc. as I'll be mooching around on my own.

I won't have much sight seeing time so any advise to maximise a short visit would be great.

Thanks again to all

Hi JPH

Sunday in Luxembourg is follows the usual continental practice, all of the shops will be closed. Just bear that in mind if you are thinking of buying essential items when you get there, there are generally only service station shops open and they are not around the city centre.
A nice Sunday thing to do is go for a stroll in the Grund, which is the valley that runs through the city, you can take a lift down into the valley from the upper level of the city. There is an open top bus tour also.

In terms of restaurants you will be spoiled for choice. Here are some around the city centre

- La Fourchette a Droite: French brasserie
- Brasserie Guillaume: French brasserie, a little cheaper than Fourchette
(both close to Place D'Armes, the main square)
- Mousel Cantine: down in the grund at Montee de Clausen, typical Luxembourgish food - i.e. quite German in style. Great steaks. Mousel is one of the local beers.
- Come Prima : personal favourite, Italian with some French food. Don't choose anything off the menu, wait until they tell you the specials, they are always fantastic.
- Onesto, rue du Nord - great pizza

Here's a website where you can search by cuisine and get the location of the restaurants
[broken link removed]

Crazyhorse,

thanks so much for the valuable information re restaurants etc. I am travelling now on Saturday and will have Sunday to mooch; Monday at the meeting and return on Tuesday.

Just a quick question - is transport from the airport to the city regular?

I haven't yet booked a hotel - that will be next on my 'to do' list.

Thanks again

jph

Just a quick question - is transport from the airport to the city regular?

Three of your previous questions, the airline, the train times and the website of the airline booking were probably something you could have got in 60 seconds via an Internet search. You can add this question too to that list.

Whilst not wanting to appear rude, have you heard of www.google.com ?

When you go out the door of the airport turn right, the bus stops are down there, not far. The bus service into town is fairly regular, a Taxi shouldn't be too expensice either as it is not too far.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Sorry if the questions were obvious and the answers could have been found elsewhere. My lack of experience re travelling contributes to my thinking that a personal experience is often more valuable than the 'cold' information given via a search engine.

Thanks again

Most of the hotels (well big hotels) have pick up buses at the airport. Let them know when you book then you ring them on arrival. There is a phone in the airport linked to many of the hotels.

Taxi's are very very expensive - I'd say more like 40 Euro into town which is actually very close.

Beware Sunday is a very quiet day - most places closed. Not too exciting!

Have fun!

Back