Snowboard Canada

elefantfresh

Off to Canada for 3 weeks in Feb 08 - doing 1 week in Banff, 1 week in Big White and 1 week in Whistler/Blackcomb. Has anyone done any of these resorts? I've read just about every review online before i booked it and I can hardly wait!!
Just wondering what the great brains on AAM have to say.

I’ve been to all three (and fernie, silver star, Kicking Horse, lake louise, sunshine and even Cypress/Grouse in Vanc).

Banff – quite a cool town (little expensive- not too busy except at weekends), terrain excellent, lots of steep and deep, lifts fine. Other options in the area are Lake Louise and Sunshine, if you are in Banff you could easily combine from there. Lake louise is very windy on top even when its not windy. That’s great though cos its scares away all the skiers, so can be loads of stashes of wind blown powder there.

Big White is twinned with Silver star. Seems to be more life in Big White, the powder there is fantastic if you hit it right, the grooming is second to none and the place is completely dead most of the time as it’s a resort you have to travel to. Not too many locals. You can get a helicopter over to silver star for the day, it has an amazing back country section with tons and tons of black runs, completely empty, which are epic if you are into that.

Whistler is whistler, it can be the best place ever or the worst place ever. Completely depends on the snow, its always busy but you can find some peace out in seventh heaven or on the backside of whistler (involves a small hike). If it dumps which it can regularly do there, its unreal because the lifts are very very quick and there is plenty of places for solitude.

The best thing about Canada is the deals you can get. They are great at combining ski passes, accommodation at heavily discounted prices. Keep your eye on their websites.

Kicking horse, if you like the really steep stuff is epic. If I was you, I would definitely get a car for the three weeks and travel around that way. Sometimes there can be tons of snow in Fernie, yet none in Banff, its strange that way. The forecasts are excellent so you will know where to head. The resorts you have name are all big resorts and quite similar I suppose. All very well run, if you wanted something really different try fernie, red mountain or if you are really hardcore, head to Mt.Baker in Washington state about 90 minutes from Vancouver. They have the world record snowfall and the world famous banked slalom. Its mecca for snowboarders as the terrain is bananas.

Enjoy…..

Hey Dieter1 - thanks a million for the reply - tons of info! I've booked a package with an american firm which includes accomodation, car hire and lift passes for the entire 3 weeks so i think i'm covered for the travelling about bit. My first pass covers the "tri-area" for banff so i'll get to all the places you're suggesting - Fernie is not covered though. But if its only a couple of hours then i'd be mad not to do a day. Come on Feb!!!

Fernie is a special place if its right.....kicking horse though has the best terrain, two massive lift accessed bowls dropping about 4000 feet......if its steep and deep you want....thats the place....

Went skiing in Banff 2 years ago, and it was great. Best place I thought was at Lake Louise, I think the mountain is called Mount Whitehorn or something like that. There are lots of black slopes for advanced skiiers, and they sure mean black. Be prepared for pistes called 'The Ultimates Heights', which is a near vertical drop. If this is not your cup of tee, there are plenty of easier pistes as well.
Enjoy your holiday, I'm very jealous!!!

Just got back yesterday. Incredible country.
Did lake louise, sunshine village, kicking horse, big white, silver star and whistler/blackcomb. Now i can hardly walk....
Fav had to be big white - virtually nobody on the slopes and wonderful snow. Lovely attitude from the local folk too - no hassle in the line ups (of which there was almost none) - very friendly people and loved to talk and tell you about the best places to go etc.
Now i'm all post holiday blues.

Back