Tripod as Hand luggage?

Pee

What's the story with taking a tripod on board an aircraft as hand luggage? I will have it in my bag with my camera and other essentials. Should I contact the airline (Ryanair) or the airports (Shannon/Beauvais)? If I chance it and it doesn't pass security is there an option of paying to have it put in the hold - I haven't booked any bags and I booked online check-in.

From doing a google on your query, it would seem that it is down to the security on the day and is by no means a certainty. I would ring Ryanair and ask them.

I carried one through from Ciampino in Rome to Dublin this week on a Ryanair flight. Had planned to put it in my checked bag but forgot. I only realised it when unpacking at home later.

Depends on how big it is - large heavy duty ones should be checked in. Small cheap ones will be no issue for security. Personally I'd always just chuck it in my luggage, it's not something I want to carry around, and not very fragile.

Depends on how big it is - large heavy duty ones should be checked in. Small cheap ones will be no issue for security. Personally I'd always just chuck it in my luggage, it's not something I want to carry around, and not very fragile.

I wont have luggage in the hold. The tripod can be folded down and will fit into my handluggage, the question is is this allowed by security?

Back