Noisy neighbour

Thirsty

Not happening in my home thank heavens, but elsewhere.

Neighbour plays loud music from late afternoon to 3am, most nights of the week. Clearly heard through party wall.

Also has two large dogs in small back garden, the dogs never leave the garden and the resultant mess is not cleaned up. The smell is pretty awful particularly in hot sun. Added to which they howl (and I mean howl like wolves, I've heard it) at regular intervals throughout the day and night.

The neighbour won't answer the door so it's impossible to even start a dialogue on the issue.

No desire to start a neighbourhood war, but at the very least if could get agreement on (say) turning down music at a reasonable hour on work days that would be helpful.

Any suggestions on what to do?

I would try putting a nice note through the door asking the neighbour to call to discuss the problem with the music and the dog mess.

Give them a few days to respond and if they don't, I would contact the dog warden regarding the mess citing 'possible neglect' as the reason for the call.

The gardai can be called if the music goes on after midnight and Environmental Health Officer is a good person to try for the general noise nuisance.

You are lucky it's not you, two of my neighbours are having a dispute at the moment about dog mess and it looks like it's going to court. The dog warden has been extremely helpful to the neighbour with the mess problem, but it's very stressful for all involved.

There is a very good leaflet called "a guide to noise pollution" available on most Local Authorities web page and DOE site. Keep a diary of noises, time, day, and severity (devise your own scale say 0 no noise to 5 very severe. You can then go to court , no solicitors need ,very cheap and all explained in leaflet.
Agree with others re dog warden in Local Authority.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a court case be something that a solicitor should dig up during conveyancing?

If so you could end up with a quieter house, but one that is more difficult to sell.

Next door neighbours dog "let out" every day and dumps in our front garden or one of our neighbours garden. Finally caught it doing it today as the neighbour was parking her car (Just lets the dog out to roam while she is doing this). It was great asking her to clean up her dog's mess amid protestations of innocence.

It can be difficult one when the noise is not constant. My neighbour has 3 adult children who travel everywhere by bicycle. The daily closing of their garage door to access their bikes is a very noisy operation with the garage door being slammed shut. This came happen at all hours of the night/day. Their garage abuts our house so the reverberation in our house is very loud. The same neighbour seems obsessed with throwing items in her bin before 7 a.m every morning with the slapping sound of the bin lid hitting the side of her bin 3 or 4 times each time. They are not bad neighbours just very unaware.

They probably don't realise how much you can hear next door.

I recently stayed in a friend's house to dog-sit while she was away. It's a 25 year old semi-detached house in a development of around 50 houses in a nice area of Dublin.

I don't know what the noise insulation building regs were then or now, but I could hear everything they were doing next door from turning on switches, to running the washing machine to showering at 5am to go to work etc.

These are just normal everyday noises that people make and the 'disturbance effect' lies with the lack of proper noise insulation between the properties.

Back