can she afford a mortgage ?

cleverclogs7

Quick quick on behalf of cousin.(pc down)
Age 33 in full time employment 25k. has 21k in saving in one bank and 2k in another.
house she would like is 155k.with the way banks are at the moment shes put off to try and ask for a mortgage.whats the chances of being approved.
no kids,not married,no credit cards,depts and so on.

Maximum Loan to Value (LTV) rates nowadays are about 92% max, more usually around 80% . This is the percentage of the house value the bank will loan you, the rest you need to find yourself.

These means on a house valued at €155,000 with an 80% LTV you will need to raise €31,000. Beyond your means.

If you can find a lender willing to offer 92% for such a low wage, you'll only have to raise €12,400 which is easily within your means.

With the recent credit crunch and capital drying up in the banking system, You will have to work damn hard to convince any lender that you are low risk. Having a spotless credit history and consistent employment record, including being in full time permanent employment helps. Being on probation or just into a job won't do you any favours.

A lot of banks are quoting quite ridicilous interest rates when you apply, 7%+ (tracker mortgages are now a thing of the past!), in an effort to minimise new business, as it's better for the share holders to do this rather than just say 'we are not looking for new business', so don't expect them to greet you with open arms!!

With prices going down so rapid in some areas, I have had experience of people being asked to get the property revalued up to 4 times in the few months it took to get the mortgage organised, and some of them had LTV's as low as 50% in the first place.

You may also want to check out the 'Rent a room scheme' as some mortgage providers will make sizable allowances for people on this. With no kids and single this would be a wise option.

Quick quick on behalf of cousin.(pc down)
Age 33 in full time employment 25k. has 21k in saving in one bank and 2k in another.
house she would like is 155k.with the way banks are at the moment shes put off to try and ask for a mortgage.whats the chances of being approved.
no kids,not married,no credit cards,depts and so on.

She would be borderline, if she goes for a mortgage of 135k, it will be a loan to value of around 87% so three lenders will look at her application.

I have seen similar cases approved if current account records are well kept and applicant has been in her current occupation for some years. If she has just started a new job or has any referral fees on her current accounts then more than likely it will be declined.

www.moneybackmortgages.ie

thanks for the comments.will pass on info.i know she has no depts,shes squeeky clean and never had any sort of loans.

yes, she would qualify.

Contact a broker...AIb, ICS and Bank of Ireland are doing 92%.
Requires...concrete employment....confirmation that she built up the savings herself and they are not a gift from a parent..take out no further borrowings at present..her bank accounts can have no referral fees or unpaids on same. the 25,000 must be made up of no overtime and be basic salary or you are into the 85% or 80% mortgages.

good luck

Is she considering renting a room or two?... if yes then some banks take the rent into account so that may help her get the mortgage

Is she considering renting a room or two?... if yes then some banks take the rent into account so that may help her get the mortgage

I have no idea.she has appointment with irish mortgages today.It will be interesting to see the outcome.She phoned AIB yesterday,said the lady she spoke to was very dismissive and told her to call her back in 2 months and hung up the phone.:(

I have no idea.she has appointment with irish mortgages today.It will be interesting to see the outcome.She phoned AIB yesterday,said the lady she spoke to was very dismissive and told her to call her back in 2 months and hung up the phone.:(

The banks are waiting for NAMA before they start lending again?

Tell her to try EBS in Drumcondra. They will loan her 92% of the value of the property and are more friendly towards 1st time buyers "wink wink" and a 100% on affordable houses. I'm just a happy customer.

I've found AIB and BOI to be rather unhelpful in the mortgage application process.
I'd tell her to definitely give EBS a try, they're loaning 92% LTV for first time buyers at the moment (100% if its affordable housing). I've got my approval with them, they're quick with applications and they keep in touch while your househunting (good for answering my silly FTB questions!) :eek:

Back