Death during first year of retirement and spouses pension

IrlJidel

Hi,

I am aware that your pension is 50% of salary after retirement and that on death your spouse will receive a spouses pension of 50% of pension ( eg 25% of salary).

However, is there any minimum period where on your death your spouse will continue to receive your full pension?

eg Is there any provision where your full pension is guaranteed for a minimum of X years? If you die one month after retirement will your spouse still only be entitled to 50% of pension ( eg 25% of salary).

The answer depends on the scheme rules.
Most Defined Benefit schemes have a 5 year guarantee on the member's pension, so if you die within first 5 years, the full pension will continue to be paid till the end of 5 years and then reduce to lower rate to the surviving spouse.
Generally, if both of you die within the first 5 years, the balnce of 5 years is paid to the estate (often as a lump sum).

I had a read of the Civil Service Pension FAQs and this is the only item relating to additional payments on death.

What benefits apply on death after retirement?
If at the time of death the total pension received since retirement, together with the amount of the retirement lump sum, comes to less than one year’s pensionable remuneration at the date of retirement, a balancing gratuity sufficient to bring the total up to the equivalent of one year’s pensionable remuneration is payable to the officer’s legal personal representative. This does not apply in the case of persons who are paid a preserved pension. Spouses' and Children’s benefits are also payable where appropriate

From another FAQ, it appears that the Spouses and Children's Benefits where appropriate are applicable immediately, there isn't any mention of a period of grace.

Here's the link: www.cspensions.gov.ie

The surviving spouse may also be entitled to the Contributory Widows/Widowers Pension, based on the PRSI contributions of the deceased (PRSI classes B and D which pre-95 civil/public servants pay qualify for Widows Pension).

Thanks for all the replies. Specifically I was looking at conditions for someone working in the health service.

From the pna.ie site I was able to glean the following which I presume would apply to most other areas of the health service.

[broken link removed]

Payments after Death
* An enhanced rate of pension may be payable for the first month after your death.
* This amounts to one month's pay if you die in service and one month's pension (your pension rate on the date of death) if you die after retirement.

I found the equivalent of the Civil Service Pensions FAQs for HSE here

[broken link removed]

It does include the information you found on the pna site, so it must apply across the entire HSE Superannuation scheme.

Gipiman, that link will not work, as its an Intranet link to the HSE intranet, which,as you know, is only available to HSE staff. By the way are you sure that Class D PRSI contributions give an entitlement to Widow/ers Pension

Gipiman, that link will not work, as its an Intranet link to the HSE intranet, which,as you know, is only available to HSE staff. By the way are you sure that Class D PRSI contributions give an entitlement to Widow/ers Pension
Class D have an entitlement to w/o if they contribute to the scheme. I'm class D and pay 1.5%, my colleague who is also class D doesn't contribute, it's only particular to females employed at a certain date as far as I know

Sorry Tentman, I linked to it from work (not a HSE network by the way!). As the OP asked about HSE, I guessed s/he may have access to the intranet too.

Here is what PRSI class D is eligible for (taken from SW website)

Permanent and pensionable employees in the public service other than those mentioned in Classes B and C, recruited prior to 6 April, 1995.

CLASS D BENEFITS
  • Widow's or Widower's (Contributory) Pension
  • Guardian's Payment (Contributory)
  • Occupational Injuries Benefits
  • Bereavement Grant
  • Carer's Benefit
Becky, the widow/ers pension from SW is separate to the Widows and Orphan's Superannuation scheme that we pay 1.5% for.

Back