Interest/Charges for cash advance from Tesco visa card

GeneralZod

My Tesco visa card is in credit by about €1,800.

Will I be hit with any charges if I take a cash advance while keeping the balance in credit? Presumably they won't charge interest on the advance while the account is in credit but I'm open to correction.

Just be ware of the fact that some credit card issuers don't offer protection on credit balances, so if you're the victim of fraud you could end up in trouble.

I'd suggest that you check it out!

If the account is in credit, a cash withdrawal is not an advance. Unless they define an "advance" otherwise in the T&Cs.

They define an advance as "a transaction where you get cash, foreign currency or travellers cheques by using the card" (appears open to positive balances) and then define the advance limit as "The most you are allowed to owe on your account at any time, by way of advances" (suggests negative balance as one can't owe when in credit).

It will probably be alright but can't be too careful when avoiding charges :)

I'll just give them a ring and ask them and assuming they say no charges apply will withdraw it but wait to see if anything appears on the bill.

if its really an mbna card then you will pay the 'withdrawal' charge. I was charged this a few times by mbna while in credit. I opened an ulster bank current account and if I plan to withdraw cash I preload it. no charge. this applies to roi,norn iron, uk and eurozone. (uk and norn iron depends on exchange rate of course) Don't use mbna any more for cash withdrawals.

Bad news. There is a 1.5% charge even though the account is in credit.

Cuchulainn, I believe it's an RBS Group card underneath the Tesco skin, so the rules don't appear to be consistent across RBS Group cards.

Cuchulainn, I believe it's an RBS Group card underneath the Tesco skin, so the rules don't appear to be consistent across RBS Group cards.

cuchulainn doesn't mention an Ulster Bank credit card, only that he opened an Ulster Bank current account.

cuchulainn said:
I opened an ulster bank current account and if I plan to withdraw cash I preload it. no charge.

Oops, sorry. :eek:. Perhaps he did mean a UB CC. It makes more sense when read that way. The concept of "preloading" is used with CCs but I've never heard it in the context of a current account since they're normally in credit.

apologies for confusion. Still have mbna as cc provider but no longer use this card for cash withdrawals as they were charging me for the transaction. The current account is always in credit but what I do now when I know that I will require a cash withdrawal ( on holidays for instance) is that I load up this account in advance. so far I have withdrawn cash from it here and norn iron, uk, canaries and portugal with no charges (apart from the sterling ex rate) for the withdrawals. Mrs Cu uses a cirrus card and is hammered for charges. Just won't change.:mad:

Back