Is there a credit card that acts like a debit card?

colly

I try to avoid using my credit card at all times, although I lik to buy small stuff online, but sometimes don't for this reason. Yes I know I can just transfer from my bank into my credit card and its the same, but what I would like is a visa etc that when I make a purchase, the amount is taken out of my current account straight away (or within a few days).

I'm pretty sure my sister has one of these in the UK - but can you get them in Ireland?

Re: Is there a credt card that acts like a debit card?

No-Visa debit cards are not available in Ireland at this time.

There are 'prepaid' credit cards such as 3v, but the charges are high.

Halifax offer VISA debit cards with their current account. One of the other banks (NIB or UB I think) is rumored to be offering it soon.

[broken link removed]. I stand corrected.

Could you ask for a credit card with a 0 limit , so you always have to preload to use it ?

Will aib be bringing out one of these do you think?

The choices are Visa from Halifax per the above link or Maestro from NIB - see thread titled;

Maestro debit card - can't be used for international internet transactions.

The original question is

Is there a credit card that acts like a debit card?

I presume the answer is no and that any specific card is either a credit card or a debit card and there are no cards that do both? Or are there? If there are then presumably the stamp duty on them would be €40 + €10 (2007) or €30 + €5 (2008)?

Halifax's VISA Debit card can be used anywhere VISA credit cards are accepted, but is subject to debit card stamp duty only, as it's a true debit card.

Yes - but what I (and presumably the original poster) meant is - does any combined credit and debit card exist? I suspect not.

No I just meant a visa debit - I have another credit card I can use for charging up debts!

with US visa cards if you have funds in your bank account the money leaves there and then, It is great as no visa bill at end of month. Don't think you can get them over here though. The Irish CC campanies make a lot of money off people who simply forget to pay a bill or pay it late. this wouldn't happen with the US system (unless you have no funds in your current account) so I don't think they will be in a rush to bring it in over here

with US visa cards if you have funds in your bank account the money leaves there and then, It is great as no visa bill at end of month. Don't think you can get them over here though. The Irish CC campanies make a lot of money off people who simply forget to pay a bill or pay it late. this wouldn't happen with the US system (unless you have no funds in your current account) so I don't think they will be in a rush to bring it in over here
I know some people who have a standing order set up from their current account to pay their CC bill automatically. Obviously they still need money in the current account for this purpose but otherwise it does deal with the problem of forgetting to pay. In any case in most or all cases the cardholder gets a printed statement in the post (unless some cards only offer online statements?) so if they forget to clear the CC bill before interest applies then it's really their own fault. I don't see this as the banks pulling the wool over people's eyes or exploiting opportunities for making money off them.

You could get an American Express card (not the new Blue one), the bill must be paid on time. You can set up a direct debit for this if you think you will forget to pay it.

Actuall I already have one of these - it's a company credit card - and it automatically takes the money out of my bank after a month.

A 'credit card' is a short term unsecured loan that only needs to be serviced by a minimum payment each month.

What you're referring to is known as a 'Charge Card' is a short loan for a 1-month period. The card's automatically paid off each month. Typically American Express (old-style) and Diners Club operated this way.

Also, in France Visa / Carte Bleu was usually used like this.

You can set up your credit card to automatically take the ENTIRE balance of the card by direct debit each month. It's just a matter of speaking to the card issuer.

In general Charge Cards are no longer popular as most people have easy access to debit card facilities that take money directly from your current account i.e. Laser/Maestro or Visa Debit. These have generally made a charge card pointless as you just use your current account over draft facility.

Back