Florida - hiking trails, state parks etc

emmt

Hi there, 2 adults flying into Orlando mid March, staying for a week, renting an RV and hoping to get back to nature!
has anybody any recommendations for which direction to head for? In the past, we've loved trips to Yosemite, Vancouver Island, that sort of thing and are hoping for something 'like' that in Florida or even up into Georgia. Just the 2 of us, no kids, fairly fit.
Anyone done this type of trip before and any recommendations? Thanks

Having been in Florida a couple of times, it's very flat. Specifically between Orlando and Key West.

Seeing as you've booked flights and organised an RV, I'm curious why, at this stage, you're asking what is there to do there ?

Hi Tarfhead. We haven't booked the flights yet - I'm going standby with a friend who works for an airline and have only one week that I can go for because of caring for an elderly parent. We're looking for good weather, somewhere not too far away and have done the Canaries. So, we've decided on Florida last minute because we're looking for good weather and the relaxation of an RV. We've done RV before in New Zealand, Canada and West Coast so we already know what we want - just a matter of booking RV now and plotting out a few state parks that are worth visiting.

Thanks derek, you're a star. Usually have loads of time to do my Googling before I post a query but this time am up against it timewise so appreciate it!

Hi Emmt,
An amazing part of Florida are the keys, but its quite a drive from Orlando but you would enjoy it in an RV if you took the trip. Around that area Ocala National Park is nice and the Cape Canaveral area also. Its very different from the West, I don't think you will be blown away as you may be in places like Yosemite by the sheer spectacle of your surroundings, but there are trails and water based sports which would be fun. March is a great time to go as the weather is nice, it can be unbearable in high summer. I know you said no kids but Disney really is quite an experience and if you didn't travel too far from Orlando a day there would be fun.
Enjoy!

Thanks guys! That'll be great to be able to read up about it on the Cara magazine as well on the flight to Orlando. Its karma...Im meant to go to Florida!

Back