Are these figures correct in connection with getting new car/keeping old one?

Hah! Yeah but it seems they are flogging loads at the moment! Thanks all for the help.

A couple of things;
Reliability. Being sure your car will start in the morning is a big deal and the hassle of having to get it fixed has to mitigate some of the cost. How reliable is your current car?

Kia and Hyundai are very good cars (I think Hyundai are better) but look at the Japanese, European and American models as well. Honest John is an excellent site for reviews. If you are calculating based on 5 years of ownership then look at all the cars with a warranty of 5 years of more.

VW's are expensive to buy and run, relative to cars of equal size, build quality and general driver experience. I've owned a few and I'm not a fan.

A couple of things;
Reliability. Being sure your car will start in the morning is a big deal and the hassle of having to get it fixed has to mitigate some of the cost. How reliable is your current car? This is mainly the reason I am seeking a long warranty, had a couple of breakdowns this year.

Kia and Hyundai are very good cars (I think Hyundai are better) but look at the Japanese, European and American models as well. Honest John is an excellent site for reviews. If you are calculating based on 5 years of ownership then look at all the cars with a warranty of 5 years of more. I can't warm to Hyundai and Honda/Toyota don't appeal to me in the styles within my price range. Currently have a Ford:(.

VW's are expensive to buy and run, relative to cars of equal size, build quality and general driver experience. I've owned a few and I'm not a fan. Have to say, VW is the only other main runner in this. I have my eyes on a lovely Passat.

Purple, thanks for your comments. I drove the Kia for a few days and my gut feeling was that it was not for me! The search goes on!

I'm driving a Ford at the moment as well and I prefer it to the equivalent VW. Build quality is as good and the road feel is much better. My favourite at the moment is the Mazda 6. I love that car.

I'm driving a Ford at the moment as well and I prefer it to the equivalent VW. Build quality is as good and the road feel is much better. My favourite at the moment is the Mazda 6. I love that car.

Solid feel but get your flywheel checked under the warranty if it's still in force. Love the look of the Mazda 6(looks like a Mustang) and I hear the new Mondeo is a class above current model! Driving about today, my Ford feels solid and it's been through the ringer this last few months so should be good for a while (fate tempted)!

Solid feel but get your flywheel checked under the warranty if it's still in force. Love the look of the Mazda 6(looks like a Mustang) and I hear the new Mondeo is a class above current model! Driving about today, my Ford feels solid and it's been through the ringer this last few months so should be good for a while (fate tempted)!

It's a long time since there was a warranty on my car!
It's a petrol so no issue with flywheels.

Was trying to justify buying a new car or van myself.
Reliability and fuel costs would be my reasons, but I don't think I could afford the repayments on even the cheapest new car. So will probably live with what I have.

Hi all, I'm pondering changing the car and I have come up with 3 scenarios in an attempt to make a decision based on cost:

1. Hold on to existing car - Value €11,000
Cost of extra road tax over 5 years € 500
Cost of maint/repairs(not reg. service) est. € 2,000
Value in 5 years est at € 2,000
Total Cost over 5 years €11,500(incl. depreciation)
€400 a year could be an underestimate for cars of a certain age. Are there any big jobs coming up, like timing belt?

Update: Decided to bite the bullet and went to buy new model VW Passat. Got cost to change down to €20,600. Decided to check out new Mondeo without any great expectations. Loved it. Picking up new Mondeo at end of month! Cost to change €19,500. 5 year warranty and Roadside Assist although I would hope never to need that.

Thanks for all the help. I am copying details from this OP to check data in 5 years.

Was trying to justify buying a new car or van myself.
Reliability and fuel costs would be my reasons
Your reason is that you want it.

Reliability and fuel costs would be your excuses. Barring massive tax discrepancies, there is no way you can ever financially justify a new car over an equivalent 4 year old model.

My attitude is that I can't "afford" a car unless I can pay cash. Running a car is crazy expensive here, adding finance costs on top makes no kind of sense to me. When I'm RichInFact I might consider a new new one, but no sooner ;)

Your reason is that you want it.

Reliability and fuel costs would be your excuses. Barring massive tax discrepancies, there is no way you can ever financially justify a new car over an equivalent 4 year old model.

My attitude is that I can't "afford" a car unless I can pay cash. Running a car is crazy expensive here, adding finance costs on top makes no kind of sense to me. When I'm RichInFact I might consider a new new one, but no sooner ;)
Lol

Back