relocating ESB pole and its right in front of my window.can they do this?

thedaras

HI, looking for some advice.
The ESB informed me today that they were moving the ESB pole ,(which is between my house and my neighbours at the moment just outside the garden wall),they want to move it a foot nearer on my side.
This will mean that one of the kids bedrooms will overlook it,and belive me its horrible,it has loads of lines coming from it.
Plus it is not used for my house but to service a neighbour on the other side,where their line cuts right accross the windows in my house.
The guy tells me I have no choice.

Well its not entirely the same thing. But a few years ago, my dad had a TV pole placed in his garden. They told him at the time, that was it, it was going there and going to facilitate a line of houses. During a very big boxing match one day, he cut the wire! After that, we got free TV for life.....

Well its not entirely the same thing. But a few years ago, my dad had a TV pole placed in his garden. They told him at the time, that was it, it was going there and going to facilitate a line of houses. During a very big boxing match one day, he cut the wire! After that, we got free TV for life.....
MY GOD,thats unreal.;)
However you are right ,its not the same thing,as this is an ESB pole.already positioned between two houses,though not serviceing either of them!
There is no logical reason not to move it in the other direction and it would still remain between the two houses.
Moving it towards my side means that the kids bedroom will be well lit!! as they tell me it will be a metre higher.
I feel a bit hopeless as to what to do.
Dont think a logical solution would work as Ive tried that.

After we had started building on site, telecom eireann erected a pole in the middle of where my gate was to go. I wrote to them and told them it had to be moved they replied with a bill of €400 just to come out and look, my soicitor wrote back and tole them to remove the pole or we would remove and charge them it was gone the following week! I know ESB will move poles for free if they are in your way!

After we had started building on site, telecom eireann erected a pole in the middle of where my gate was to go. I wrote to them and told them it had to be moved they replied with a bill of €400 just to come out and look, my soicitor wrote back and tole them to remove the pole or we would remove and charge them it was gone the following week! I know ESB will move poles for free if they are in your way!

Hi and thanks for your reply.
This is slightly different..There is already a pole there.and they say it needs to be replaced, I have no problem with that.The problem is they want to move it as well,only a foot ,but it will impact on me.there is no logical reason why they could not just put the new pole in the same place or a foot in oppisite direction..:confused:

There is a reason why they can not put the replacement pole in the same place: they mount the new pole beside the old pole, and only then do they disconnect lines and fit them to the new pole.

They might not want to place it on the opposite side because the old pole might obstruct work on the new pole, or it might prove very difficult to take down the old pole after the new one is commissioned.

In general, ESB engineers are reasonable to deal with, and try to co-operate with people. But "in general" does not apply to every individual engineer. Try talking to them again. See if you can find somebody else in the organisation to talk to.

Spoke to supervisor, he basically said they can do what they need to do and really they were just being curtious by letting me know.
So no point in it wrecking my head now.
Im going to look at the positives..new pole..new light..1 metre higher..
Im living the dream :)
Thanks for posting all..

Back