3 DAY WEEK

M

MILO

I have opportunity to work 3 day week,with a lump sum of 5000 euro on agreeing to work this way for 1 year, I pay the lower rate D stamp now but have 250 class A stamps from previous employment can i sign for two days, any help would be appreciated

Hi Milo
I am not an expert on Social Welfare entitlements, so this is just an opinion. Your best bet is to call into your Social Welfare office and they will help you.

If you are being asked to cut down work because of lack of business, you will be entitled to unemployment benefit if you have made 39 A contributions in the year 2001. If the short time work begins in 2004, the basis year will be 2002.

Are you sure you are Class B? I think that is for some public sector employees. Do you work in the public sector? If so, the B contributions wouldn't entitle you to unemployment benefit.

As I say, don't take this as gospel - check it out with your social welfare office.

Brendan

5 to 3

My wife moved to a 3 day week from a five day week. I thought that we might be eligible for some type of payment for the other two days. The Social Welfare officer said that as she had volunteered to downsize her working week as distinct to being forced to reduce her week that she was therefore not entitled to any benefit.

Back