salary issue

falabo

I am in a job since march 2003. salary 30k

Was told my salary would go up to 35k after 6 months. I didn't ask for this to be put in writing (I know, I know...).

In september nothing happened, I waited until december and was pulled in office to tell me my salary was not being increased. This was not a review to discuss my performance or anything but just a chat cos they swa I was getting annoyed with the delay.

Anyay I found out that the people who started before me were paid 35k from day one and also one girl who joined after me 35k

I feel discriminated, ignored etc... since december every time I ask for an update its "we're looking into it"

they have no intention of raising my salary.

Is this legal?

Thanks for your advice on how t dela with this, I feel small although doing a good job, attendancy excellent etc. I think they are taking advantage of this "recession" . I was prety much told I was lucky to have a job.

Sounds a bit unfair maybe but if you accepted the offer of 30k it doesn't really matter what anyone else is on.

They are under no obligation to increase your salary - especially since there is nothing in writing.

Its irrelevant what the other people are on.

I dont think you have any legal right to the increase, you should have got it written into the contract. In todays environment I doubt the company will increase it anyways.

All you can do is keep proving your worth to the company and you should set up a meeting to talk about the increase you thought you would get after 6 months. If the company wont increase it then you cant do anything.

Other than that if you are not happy with the pay you can look for another job.

if you can prove that the other ones who are on 35k are doing the exact same job as you (and are employed to do the same job as you) than you could be right with some sort of discrimination case but it is hard to prove the job and discrimination part and it would be on you to prove such.

It wouldn't be discrimination unless OP has a characteristic that is different to the people being paid the higher amount - for e.g. if OP was the only woman and all the men were on 35k. But, for e.g. you can't claim discrimination based on sex if both men and women are being paid more than you are (provided there isn't an overall imbalance with e.g. 90 men and 1 woman being paid at the higher rate and the other 90 women being paid at the lower rate).

OP, did the employer promise you the raise as part of your interview/negotiations? If so, you have an argument that you relied on that promise in order to take the job - if so, the promise doesn't have to be in writing. Does your employer acknowledge that they unconditionally said that you would get 35k after 6 months?

if you can prove that the other ones who are on 35k are doing the exact same job as you (and are employed to do the same job as you) than you could be right with some sort of discrimination case but it is hard to prove the job and discrimination part and it would be on you to prove such.

I am not an expert but I dont think that is correct. Whats the basis for discrimination? It can't be that one is paid less than the other even for doing the same job (if you could even define that).

Back