is the household charge in place of NPPR charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nek

i'm new to letting out my property

quick question
is the household charge in place of NPPR charge of last year or do we have to pay both?

Why the double taxation? What is the rationale behind that?

It goes against fairness to double tax on the same property.

The NPPR is waived if the property is deemed uninhabitable - does the same apply to the household charge? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Why the double taxation? What is the rationale behind that?

It goes against fairness to double tax on the same property.
theres no such thing as a 'fair tax' just one that has to be paid.
my problem is the name, ie it should be called what it is, ie 'a houseowners tax' because if ou rent a property your not liable for the charge on that property, which is ok now at €100 + €200 but when it rises to a much larger amount, you'll see a lot more people staying in rented accommadation
People in apts will also have to pay management fees as well...........

you'll see a lot more people staying in rented accommadation
Over €100 (at least right now)? I doubt it.
People in apts will also have to pay management fees as well...........
Not just apartments - some housing estates too. That is my situation. And I pay refuse charges to the local authority.

What could be removed to make a dwelling 'uninhabitable'?

I've heard stories of people removing rooves from disused houses in the 1970s in order to avoid rates. I've also heard this attributed as one of the reasons for the destruction of many of the 'big houses' and heritage properties during that era.

Yes, my father mentioned that, in the 50's and 60's I think it was, people used to knock the chimney off any unused properties to avoid paying rates.

Yes, my father mentioned that, in the 50's and 60's I think it was, people used to knock the chimney off any unused properties to avoid paying rates.
What's the least measure that could be taken to circumvent? (working within the law here - just in case the moral police come calling).

Just thought I'd link to my post here.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1232640&postcount=8

The NPPR legislation provides for an "uninhabitable" waiver but I don't think that the household charge legislation does other than if the property is in one of the estates on the unfinished estates list to be published anon? In particular I don't see that it allows for such a waiver for an individual property even if you knock the chimney off or take the roof off etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back