Employment/contract law question

QuickOne

Hi

A situation arose in work recently where there was an opportunity for a promotion - it was an acting manager's role for a year.

It got to the stage where work made an offer (written, in an email). I didn't accept in writing but I do believe that I accepted verbally. I then had a query on whether the increase in salary would be an increase to my basic salary or a temporary increase for the year.

When the senior manager I was dealing with passed my query onto HR, HR said they weren’t happy with the increase I was offered as it breached their rules on salaries and acting up positions. They wouldn't sign off on it and it now looks like they are getting an external consultant to do the job.

The senior manager then tried to ignore me rather than comminicate this to me. When I asked about it he told me there was never an offer on the table and that we were just discussing hypothetical numbers if I were to do the job.

My view is that there was a written offer, a verbal acceptance and hence a contract is in place as offers of employment are covered by contract law.

Is my view correct? Should I speak with an employment lawyer or just forget about it and move on?

... It got to the stage where work made an offer (written, in an email). I didn't accept in writing but I do believe that I accepted verbally. I then had a query on whether the increase in salary would be an increase to my basic salary or a temporary increase for the year. ...
Was the temporary posting advertised widely and publicly in work?
To whom did "work" make an offer? What individual made the offer? When you say "verbally" do you mean "orally"? Were all the T&Cs not clear in the advertisement / job offer? Who in "work" makes appointments, line managers or HR?

Back