Advice on good areas in Cork when commuting to Hollyhill

N

Nettle

Hi all!

My husband and I will be moving to Cork soon, and while my employer has arranged short term accommodation for us to start with, we've been thinking that we'd like to buy a house or an apartment as soon as possible. But where to look, that's the problem.

I've understood that north of Lee is generally considered "bad" but that there are some areas that should be OK, such as Shanakiel and Sunday's Well - is that correct? What about Montenotte, St Lukes and Gardiners Hill?

We've also considered areas such as Western Road, City Centre (the island) and the area immediately south of the centre. Then further afield Tower and Blarney, that seem to offer easy commute to Hollyhill where I'll be working (my husband will be working from home) but are they too quiet?

We are in late 30s and early 40s so we don't (necessarily) need lots of nightlife and hustle and bustle, but a few shops and a nice pub or two wouldn't hurt. We have no children so schools and such are of no importance, but good cycling roads and walking routes nearby would be a plus.

All comments and ideas are most welcome!

Montenotte and Sunday's Well would be the better areas that you have suggested but are surrounded by not as great areas but not that bad either. If you are changing jobs will you will more than likely not get a mortgage until you are over your probationary periods.
Mike

Would you not consider renting for at least a year so as to get to know the city well before commiting to an area? Bear in mind as well that Cork is very small - I'm based in Douglas (on Southside) and could easily drive to Hollyhill every day.

Yes probably have to rent for a while because of the probationary period - thanks for pointing that out, Corkmike!

Back