State Savings (NTMA) bonds and certs looking good

I was on to them today , they were processing the work of Dec 7th today.
So bear with them for a while .

The above post was from the 28th Jan so presume investment made on 15th December (just before the rate drop thankfully) will be processed very shortly ?

You should have received confirmation by now, I invested Dec 15th as well and received paperwork about two / three weeks back...

How do you guys feel about the 10 year bond?

I'm not sure if I can stomach any potential losses on the stock market and thought putting my money into the 10 year NSB could be a hassle-free way to hopefully beat inflation by a percent or two over the next 10 years.

Part of me would be tempted to start a new one every year and then not worry about it till the money rolls back in every year like clockwork down the line.

It's a long time but I've started to stick in a few thousand every now and then - you get a card you can use each time in the post office so it's very handy.

I also have a 4 year bond. The five year cert you should check out first - 100% DIRT free.

I have been buying 10 year bonds with every salary payment. Money goes into my current account and the same day I go to the post office with my debit/ATM card and state savings card. My debit card has a transaction limit of 1500 euro so that's the most I put in at a time. The process takes less than a minute if the post office is quiet.

I'm up to about 8 or 9k total I think. I don't see myself holding more than 20 or 30k in 10 year bonds.

prsi on savings bonds any resolution?

an avid reader but infrequnt contributor would dearly love to know if prsi will apply to savings bonds and savings certs.I apologise if I have used the wrong thread.Have the powers that be decided on this yet?

Simple answer - no the powers that be have not decided yet as far as i know. The Tax Free Products i.e. 3 year bonds,5 year certificates and 6 year Instalment savings would stand the better chance of having no prsi. Personally I hope the 4 year and 10 year bonds manage to escape prsi if other state savings Products escape it. Watch this space.

a friend of mine who lives in northern ireland asked me if this saving scheme would be available to him, he was born in dungannon and still lives near there. any help please, thanks.

I have been buying 10 year bonds with every salary payment. Money goes into my current account and the same day I go to the post office with my debit/ATM card and state savings card. My debit card has a transaction limit of 1500 euro so that's the most I put in at a time. The process takes less than a minute if the post office is quiet.

I'm up to about 8 or 9k total I think. I don't see myself holding more than 20 or 30k in 10 year bonds.

- What do you think about the annual payment being dropped? Could it be a good thing?

- Any idea why after 2 issues they have gone back to 5.5 years from 5 years?

theresa1 said:
- What do you think about the annual payment being dropped? Could it be a good thing?

- Any idea why after 2 issues they have gone back to 5.5 years from 5 years?
I wonder if the dropping of the SB yearly interest for SB issue 4 is related to the introduction of PRSI on deposit interest? There was a fair amount of debate/uncertainty here about how this yearly interest would be treated for PRSI. Now, perhaps, things are simpler. Also, perhaps those who have issue 1,2 and 3 SBs will "get away" without paying PRSI on their 1% yearly interest.

This is just speculation and I could be completely wrong.

I don't know why the savings cert has changed back to 5.5 years. I also don't know why it changed from 5.5 years to 5 years for the previous two issues!

It's another blow for savers that the rates have dropped again and my prize bonds will be affected by this. However the positives I get from the cut are:

-it may be a good sign for the country that the NTMA is in a position to do this

-it makes me think that locking in before the recent rate cuts was a reasonable strategy. And that Jill Kerby was very wrong to say in 2011 that the NTMA state savings products were for "prize idiots".

I wonder if the dropping of the SB yearly interest for SB issue 4 is related to the introduction of PRSI on deposit interest? There was a fair amount of debate/uncertainty here about how this yearly interest would be treated for PRSI. Now, perhaps, things are simpler. Also, perhaps those who have issue 1,2 and 3 SBs will "get away" without paying PRSI on their 1% yearly interest.

I concur that the removal of 'normal annual interest' is probably driven by the PRSI changes.

With regard to the existing legacy products, we will have to wait and see what the Finance Act says about PRSI eligibility on the 'normal annual interest'.

FAQ link has been pulled under "NSB Application Form" on main page of statesavings website. They need to hurry with update. Above link still take's you to issue 3.

The FAQ for 4 and 10 year bonds seems to have been completely dropped - Prize Bonds still have a FAQ.

"What if I have more questions?
Visit www.StateSavings.ie where you can read and print
a detailed Frequently Asked Questions booklet and the
Terms & Conditions. "

The above is from NTMA Brochure 3 but still no FAQ on the website.

In the money section today in The Irish Mail on Sunday a reader asked a question about a Savings Cert maturing in 2015 and would the interest accrued be subject to PRSI.

The answer was No - 'free from all tax,levies and PRSI'. Is this correct?

In the money section today in The Irish Mail on Sunday a reader asked a question about a Savings Cert maturing in 2015 and would the interest accrued be subject to PRSI.

The answer was No - 'free from all tax,levies and PRSI'. Is this correct?

To answer my own question - yes.

Hey,

After reading this thread I bought some prize bonds.
My bonds details arrived in the post today. I signed up to the prizebonds website and entered my range of bonds.

When I click on check prizes, it says I have won prized, some back in February.....
Whats the story with this. Have these numbers been sold and then bought by me?

"On checking my recent statement dated 15/04/2015 I discovered that I did not receive a cheque for payment of Interest on a small 10 year bond."

I e-mailed state savings and to this day apart from a general acknowledgement I never received a reply. I also e-mailed on June 1st and got no reply.

As no joy with e-mail I decided to phone them on June 19 and was on the phone for 33 minutes getting passed around from billy to jack and then back to jack again but at least jack on the 2nd conversation actually found out who I needed to talk with and gave me a direct number.

I then phoned that person and thankfully got through and they had to send me out a form which i had to bring to my local post office to get witnessed with photo I.D.

I brought my passport and the girl in the post office who is always helpful photocopied my passport and attached the copy to the letter which I had filled out and sent back.

I got my "new" cheque in the post on July 7th. In hindsight I wish I had opted for interest payment to go directly in to my bank account.

However the level of customer service from state savings was shocking in my opinion and I hope to God that no more cheques go 'missing in the post' if indeed that is what happened.

Back