Motor Crash! Claim through Insurance co or not?

P

PHarr

Hi,

First time poster. I am dealing with a bit of a dilemma and not too sure what to do!!!

Unfortunately I crashed my car (my fault, no-one hurt and no third party involved). I sent my car to the garage to take a look and it works out to be €4k worth of damage. The car is worth approx €6k.

My insurance is partial no claims protection (20% i believe).

My question is how much will my insurance be affected? I'm male, late 20's and had 4 years no claims bonus paying approx €800 a year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I gather when you say partial no claims protection what you mean is that you have step-back protection, so if you claim it will knock 2 or 3 years off your no-claims bonus depending on the company you are with. So simple answer is yes. Your bonus would only be 20%. So the discount they apply to your base premium next time you are due for renewal would have gone from 40 to 20%. And the rates will have gone up by then too so over a grand next time around.

hey i was in the same position as you few weeks back, my ins is up in jan i got quote it went from 800 to 1100 and that was with the same company, i was on stepback so im back to 3 yrs no claims, they stated the claim wont be added to my ins for a yr so it will go up more next yr. it was only 3500 i got for the car, and also they are now putting a 4000 excess on it , so my advice is if he car is not worth much dont bother claiming if you can afford it, im paying back my claim as not to loose my no claims

Thanks Guys. I have decided to go through with it myself. From doing a bit of wheeling dealing I have got the price down to €2k.

Thanks again.

Back