Probate....Do It yourself or Solicitor

Gary_b

Hi all

My father recently passed away and in his Will he left me his house. I understand that there will need to be a process of probate in order for the house to be transferred into my name.

My question is should I fill in the forms for probate myself or would it be wise to get a solicitor to do it for me.

A friend told me that probate is very straight forward and I have talked to a solicitor about the process in which he told me that his fees would be 1% of the full asset amount.

Would like to hear opionons on this particularly form anyone that was in a similar position and done the probate process themselves.

Thanks

I did it probate myslef and found it realtively straight forward so if things are not too complex it can save you money. I sold inherited house though so needed to use solicitor for the sale after had probate

hi mtk
Im in a similar position,my fathers estate isnt complex. How long did your probate take to complete? Also do you know where i can find the probate forms. I tired to find them on citizen information website but couldnt find them.

thanks

do it your self, at least solicitor gave a price, if your father left any money that will be added to the estate, if it is straight forward your local probate office will help you, beware of hidden extras as mathepac has rightly pointed out

Hi gary b
It did not take too long . If i recall corretcly ( 2 years ago now) ....
. I rang probate for the forms you fill in yourself. Probate make an appointment with you for say 3 months later ? . You then bring " asset " form to pobate office for meeting. Then after you meet them they issue probate a couple of weeks after that provided you bring everything with you for the first visit . I am told its much quicker than with a solicitor.

Like mtk said, It is quite simple to diy if the will is fairly straight forward as I did it myself when my mam died, I was the last left the baby, lol the udders long gone and married, but house left to me as there was nothing else, and I was named as exector on the will, and that was a home made will which I copied from a will book.

Sum up: if it's straight forward, then do it yourself. Take your time, no need to rush, it does take a bit of time. good luck.

Back