self build an a budget

How expensive is lead? There is a load of the stuff in my shed left by the builder/previous owner. Can I sell it!!!!! Can't exactly get rid of it in the pay by weight bin.

Hi All, I am living in Co Dublin and am looking at doing some extention to the house. does any one know what the builing cost are now per/sq foot V's this time last year.

Just started to get prices for a 2700 sq ft house with 2 story garage, quotes so far as follows (for labour only)

Building 15000
1st and 2nd fix carpentry 10000 (including slating roof, the whole hog)
Plastering 10000

Anyone got any idea of how this stacks up?

Also anyone used a quantity surveyor to estimate buliding materials, is this money well spend or an unnessary cost? Advice would be appreciated.

The most of this thread is over a year old. Is there anyone who posted or is starting to build found a big drop in prices toward 2008? or have any updates that might be usfull.
Cheers

This question is aimed at self build or anyone using a builder and especially someone who weighted up both. Especially in the South East.

Just started to get prices for a 2700 sq ft house with 2 story garage, quotes so far as follows (for labour only)

Building 15000
1st and 2nd fix carpentry 10000 (including slating roof, the whole hog)
Plastering 10000

Anyone got any idea of how this stacks up?

Also anyone used a quantity surveyor to estimate buliding materials, is this money well spend or an unnessary cost? Advice would be appreciated.

Units of currency would be nice. :)

The building costs half as much again as the carpentry/plastering?

Define "building" because I estimate that you'll sink at least €15,000 into the foundations, rising walls and substructures.

What do you need a two storey garage for, a bus?

ONQ.

ONQ-

Currency- Euro's
By building i mean blockwork, thought maybe you may have copped that!
The 2 storey garage is for my 2 pet girraffes!

Hey Bigbuild,

Depends if your prices include material or are they just labour? I presume the build cost is just labour as as ONQ says, you will pay about the same for foundations and build upto roof level...

With regards to the others, they seem pretty good prices (assuming they are ex-vat)

You don't mention where you are located but I have recently gotten quotes back and here are mine for same -

Labour/build costs - 3 quote - €19,000, 19,600 and third was 6,000 for groundworks, pouring foundations and 10,000 for blockwork upto roof level

1st & Second Fix Carpentry - one quote so far - €17,000 including roof, felt & lat, slates, installation of soffit & fascia, 1st and 2nd fix

Plastering - €11,500 and €13,000

Should have said that my prices were for a 2,500sqft house and a garage - nap plaster finish on outside.

Would be interested to see what your electrician costs have been. I am looking at getting standard electrical work plus CAT5 cabling to about 5 rooms in the house with electrics out to the front gate, outside sensor lights etc.

Hope this helps

Hi voodoo, your prices seem very good. Can I ask you does the build, carpentry and plastering prices include labour and material? What part of the country are you building in? Are you building a 2 storey or bungalow? Sorry for all the questions, will be starting my own self build over the next few months and trying to keep an eye on prices!

I am building in Laois. The costs are just labour costs - no materials...

Meant to say that the costs I have for the electrician come in at about 7,700e for full electrics including Cat5 cabling around the house...

House is a two storey house - 2,500sqft

Hi Voodoo,

My prices are just labour, will have no cost except for materials for electrics as my da and brother are both electricians. My uncle will be doing site clearance and foundations etc. Do your prices include materials, if so they sound good? My carpentry quote is for 1st and 2nd fix labour only, however my brother will be doing 2nd fix as he is a carpenter. Had asked the other carpenter to price for roof only but came back with a price for 1st and 2nd fix. Getting window quote tonight and ufh quote at some stage this week also.

hi guys just posting costings thati had done up for me to self build for two storey 2100 house.

substructure
hardcore, excavation concrete, steel, radon barrier and floor screed -- 19,563.00

external wall
lintels, external plastering, insulation --- 25,273.96

internal walls
internal block work, lintels, flue liners, plaster and paint internally, timber stud partitions and plasterboard finish to 1st floor.--- 13,404.88

windows and doors externally
u.pvc windows and doors externally, windowboards.. -- 12,237.00

first floor
suspended slab skim finish and insulation --- 12,500.00

roof
cut roof, concrete tile finish, upvc fascia soffit ---20,482.00

plumbing
boiler, rads, oil tank sanitary ---- 20,000.00

electrial
lighting and sockets---5,350.00

2nd fix carpentery
door skirting--- 18,213.00

kitchen--- 10,000.00

tiling--- 4,000.00

floor finishes--- 12,000.00

Site works
septic tank and treatment area, concrete kerbing, percolation area--- 23,678.65

total--196,702.49

Vat-- 26,554.84

total inc Vat-- 223,257.33

hi galway,

would be interested to know if prices are including labour + materials also ??
and was it contractor or self-build ??

Very detailed quote, fare play for putting it up though i wish more people would do the same.

HI galway,

thanks for your post

the item that scares me the most is 2nd fix carpentry 18K, please clarify what this includes/excludes

by some of the figures i doubt you used did any of the work yourself

I am currently looking at an ICF house in Cork, 3500sq ft, builders finish excluding Plumbing and excavation and door frames. Prices coming in at 285K euro.

Hi,

We have just got our first quote for labour only for the construction of our house. The foot print is 53sqM and the overall floor area is I believe 2,900 sq foot. I wonder if anyone could tell me what they think of these figures. In particular the substructure - is this a bit high given that someone else will be doing the ground works? I expect that the substrucure will mean bringing the building to the stage of polished floor.

Substructure6,404.75Upper floors2600Roofs and Roof Coverings11807.5Wall finishes externally (plinth only)325Wall finishes internally5603Ceiling finishes3997Preliminaries500Scaffolding1500subtotal (excluding VAT)32,737.25VAT @13.5%4419.529total37,156.78

Maybe it isnt high at all ... I dont have much of a clue and would be very grateful for any guidence. thank you.

I dont have much of a clue and would be very grateful for any guidence

Me neither, but the first thing I would do is hire someone who does. Plenty pointers and good advice on this site, but Im think you have an aweful lot to lose if you're not educated in this field.

Back