getting site as a gift need advice

galway.

Im recieving land from my grandmother to build a house on, however,
my late grandfather left a will stating all the land go to my father who is now deceased, which in turn goes to my mother as next of kin, on my grandmothers passing.
My question is does this land have to be released early to my mother then to me or how does this work

i have not contacted a solictor yet about this matter.

any advice on this is welcome

thanks

Did your Grandfather's will go to probate?

Did your late father leave a will?

If he did, who were the beneficiaries?

Did his will go to probate?

I don't understand what role your grandmother has to play in all of this, maybe you could clarify by answering the questions.

what is ment by go to probate??
my father had no will, so the land will be going to my mother
grandfathers will stated that the land not change hands until my grandmother passes away, but its stated she can not sell off the land.
thanks.

I tried very hard to understand the question here. I could'nt.

The only advice I can give is to talk to a solicitor who, on looking at the paperwork and tracing the family tree, finding out who is dead and who is alive, whose name the property is registered in and how ownership devolves, what restrictions there are on a disposal, can advise on what steps can be taken to transfer a site into OP's name, who should be the transferor and whether or not one or more Probates need to be extracted. There may also be stamp duty issues, CAT issues and CGT issues depending on the nature of the property and the relationship between the transferor and transferee. There will also be planning issues.

mf

thanks mf1 , planning is granted no problem building.
the main issue i have is, can the land be released early to my mother while my grandmother is alive .
thanks

Agree with MF1 post. A complicated scenario might be made worse by acting on internet advice. See your solicitor.

cheers, am only at the start of trying to transfer the lands its going to be a pain i think ,
thanks all.

cheers, am only at the start of trying to transfer the lands its going to be a pain i think ,
thanks all.

Well, sometimes something like this is exactly what is needed to sort out tangled/neglected property/tax/legal issues which arise where land "passes" through generations, never being properly addressed.

Good luck with it and do try and get your head around who owns what, in whose name is what held , what steps would need to be taken to transfer land into your name, what taxes are likely to arise and is there any way to minimise them etc.,etc

mf

Back