Motorbike insurance

brodiebabe

Yet another Motorbike insurance provider bites the dust. My husband just got a letter from Hibernian telling him that they can't renew his policy as they have been withdrawing from Motorbike Insurance cover since July 2005. That only leaves two brokers who provide cover. Aon and Carole Nash. And Mary Harney tells us to "shop around". Yes plenty of opportunity to shop around for a cheaper price...... I think not.

AXA took over the AON contract from Hib, so it may be worth checking if they will quote independantly now Hib are gone.

For the ten years I drove a bike, NU (now Hib) were the only provider. Ten years of claim-free driving, and every year the premium rose by 30%-70%, with no NCB and no reduction for age. I paid the same premium as the 18-year-old who'd just gone out and bought his first bike... :mad:

Just my two cents but there is a French compnay that will insure foreghin cars and bikes in th EU and most probably a lot cheaper then Ireland

What's their name?

I tried keeping my (much cheaper) French insurance when I moved back to Ireland in 1989 and was told that I couldn't because Irish law requires you to hold a valid certificate of insurance (and display a current disk) issued under the Road Traffic Act, 1961. But if that's changed, I wouldn't mind exercising some European "citizenship rights" at next renewal!

I am not sure about Irish law but when i vist Italy I call them and isure my car for 3 months, this sommer it was someting like 350 for an 1998 BMW M3. If it is valid in the EU it should be so in Ireland and it does have a certificate but you might get hassel with the Gards?? I am back in December and will get it for you as all the papers are in the car.

We await with baited breath............my bike is off the road until fair price enters this market. I was paying 160 odd sterling a year thru Carole Nash, moved to Ireland using the same broker the price hiked to 650 plus euro. Someone call Eddie Hobbs :)

My experience on getting a couple of quotes (one was for motorcycle, one a classic car) has been it is somewhere around 3 to 4 times dearer than the UK. Having said that I'm not that surprised given the accident rate is higher.

Cheers,
mac p

Hey does anybody know the max engine size u can be insured on if ur on a provisional licence and r only starting off.

an A1 license is up to 125cc
an A license for a provisional (& 2 years after you pass your test) is 25 Kw or 33bhp (in fairness, as a beginner I found this more than powerful enough)

Many bigger bikes can be restricted to 25kw, but for insurance purposes this needs to be factory fitted. e.g. a suzuki bandit 600 is a group 10 bike, restricted or not, but a factory restricted one is a group 6.

I would double check everything with your insurer before you buy anything.

Guys

In theory under the EU Third Non Life Directive, a company can sell insurance anywhere in the EU once it is licenced in any EU country ("freedom of services"). In reality alot of insurers are not bothered with Ireland because its too small and there is a lot of claims volatility (which they don't like). Even if they get a small slice of the market, it is not worth the effort unless the margins are really really juicy. The fact that Hibernian have got out could mean they are not or at least not as juicy as car margins.

Accidents, death rates etc. should not drive out insurance. Pricing risk is straightforward enough...you take last years claims + expenses + plus this years profit margin and spread it over your likely sales. The trick is to spread it on thick where the market will take it....and where whinging is ignored (youngsters, motorbikes etc.)

Budgie said:
The fact that Hibernian have got out could mean they are not or at least not as juicy as car margins.
I drove a bike accident/claim-free for almost 10 years, and what seemed most unfair to me was the absence of any kind of no-claims bonus. Year after year, my premium would rise (once by 70%!) and I paid exactly the same premium as an 18-year-old first-timer — or an 80-year-old, for that matter. :mad:

Yet I know from someone working there at the time that NU (now Hibernian) used to lose money on bike insurance, and that the sector was always subsidised by the rest of the fire/motor book. Not surprised to hear that Hibernian have now pulled out...

Hey does anybody hav a rough idea on the price of insurance for an 18 yr old male driver on a 125cc bike with a provisional Lic. just looking for a rough ball park figure, So it's just Carrol Nash and AON that insure motorbikes is it.

I think the reality is that Carole Nash / Aon will quote and insure you on faster unrestricted motorbikes, but technically your licence does prohibit you from driving such bikes (with a power output above 33bhp), even after passing the test & receiving the full licence for a period of up to two years, ie. its more a garda enforcement issue, but you will be covered in the event of an accident, have a look at http://www.biker.ie/forum for more info.

Buying a virago (factory restricted 33bhp), carole nash quoted me 2075 but didnt ask what class licence I hold,all they needed was provisonal or full.Does anyone know if I am covered on an A1 provisonal?

Gitzy said:
Buying a virago (factory restricted 33bhp), 535cc bike
Does anyone know if I am covered on an A1 provisonal?

Category Vehicle type Minimum age of driver
A1 Motorcycles up to 11kW or 125 cc 16 years
A(restricted) Motorcycles up to 25kW (approx. 300 cc) 18 years
A Any size motorcycle (after 2 years on a full licence)18 years

As A1 is up to 125cc only, so i guess you are not covered....

See this link to OASIS for details

Back