Home 123.ie have doubled my premium

My car premium went from 400 to 600 with Alianze. Got it for 430 with insure.ie.
Just contacted insure.ie by phone for insurance for 2 properties, 1 car and life insurance quote.

Had to speak to three different people - house, motor and life - and I have to say all three were absolutely great in terms of assistance and they were very knowledgeable about their products.

All the quotes were much less than other quotes I had got for the same cover, including way below my current insurer who has hiked the premiums this year and was not willing to reduce them at all, with little or no difference to the excess. With 123.ie, I got a better quote for the PPR insurance, but the excess would have doubled.

I have no connection to insure.ie, but as a consumer, would happy to recommend their service.

123.ie are very clever customers! In the last few years I've noticed that when they send me a renewal notice the price always exceeds what I have payed the year before by around 70euro. On each occasion I have done nothing and then around 10 days before my insurance was due for renewal they rang me offering me €100 off the initial quote and then I've signed up. Each time they have played it to the same script

Me: It's 70 euro more expensive than last year so I'm not interested thank you
Them: Oh dear...well let me see what I can do... ohhh...hmmm. Oh!It looks like we can drop €50
Me: I've got a cheaper quote elsewhere
Them : Hold on a moment while I speak to my manager.. (wait)....we don't usually do this but I can drop it by another €50.

Voila a hundred euro drop in price in minutes!

This year of course maybe different as there are people warning of increased home insurance premiums on the news at every broadcast . I have just got a quote as a new customer from their online section and it is €125 more expensive than last year.

123.ie are very clever customers! In the last few years I've noticed that when they send me a renewal notice the price always exceeds what I have payed the year before by around 70euro. On each occasion I have done nothing and then around 10 days before my insurance was due for renewal they rang me offering me €100 off the initial quote and then I've signed up. Each time they have played it to the same script

Me: It's 70 euro more expensive than last year so I'm not interested thank you
Them: Oh dear...well let me see what I can do... ohhh...hmmm. Oh!It looks like we can drop €50
Me: I've got a cheaper quote elsewhere
Them : Hold on a moment while I speak to my manager.. (wait)....we don't usually do this but I can drop it by another €50.

Voila a hundred euro drop in price in minutes!

This year of course maybe different as there are people warning of increased home insurance premiums on the news at every broadcast . I have just got a quote as a new customer from their online section and it is €125 more expensive than last year.
My experience with them is not too different, though you seem to have worked out the figures fairly scientifically. However, if they are a broker, don't they have a duty to get the best price for you up-front?

I heard today (RTE) all premiums are going up in response to the terrible flooding. As I am within 30 days of my renewal I did the ring around to get quotes. I was with insure.ie and for whatever reason my premium has more than doubled. 123 were a better. But I got a good quote with getcover.ie (Lloyds underwritten) and better excess than others also. Quote is valid for 30 days and even the rep on the phone said that it may be different in a couple of weeks when claims start rushing in.
Something to bear in mind if your home insurance is up between now and Christmas, you may be able to lock in a better quote now.

But I got a good quote with getcover.ie (Lloyds underwritten) and better excess than others also. Quote is valid for 30 days and even the rep on the phone said that it may be different in a couple of weeks when claims start rushing in.
Thanks, Getcover.ie is beating 123.ie for me too.

It is worth looking at the buildings value also. Based on the calculator on the FBD site, I'm bringing the valuation of mine down from €300k to €250k, which brings the insurance cost down by €50-100.

axa quoted me 1100 for coming yr up from 800. i rang broker who gave me quote of 850 from axa also. no wonder this country is falling apart

just to update, i have taken out new home insurance with AIB for 290 EURO practicaljy identical to what i had with BOI who were looking for 450 to renew. My advise is to shop around and shop around hard!

Absolutely. Quinn Direct quoted me for car renewal. I got a better deal on 123.ie. I went back to Quinn and they matched the offer.

Absolutely. Quinn Direct quoted me for car renewal. I got a better deal on 123.ie. I went back to Quinn and they matched the offer.
It is always good to get a better deal, but this kind of approach doesn't really encourage competition. You could try refusing to tell Quinn of what exactly your better off is, but tell them that they have to do a lot better. Once you tell them what your better offer is, you can be sure they aren't going to come significantly lower.

I was with 123 as well and got a massive renewal quote from them so did a lot of shopping around. Eventually we went with Allianz - €250 cheaper and we increased our contents and additional items cover. We also had a small claim at the start of the year (€1500) which had no bearing on the new cover. I heard from a colleague who is a broker that Travelers are due to withdraw from the Irish market next year...

Had a policy with Zurich through 123.ie
Had 3 small claims over the last three years (all minor enough - I'm sorry I claimed to be honest, as with the excess etc I only got back about 30% of what I had spent in repairs.
123 no longer deal with Zurich and Travellers will not quote, so a nightmare to get cover. They've fobbed me onto a broker in Limerick....

Just thinking my renewal is up in the coming months. Before they get a change to decline my renewal (as I have a similar claims history), is it possible to jump ship to another insurer before renewal (like car insurance)? Are you entitled to a rebate?

Thanks
S.

Still nobody wants to quote for cover. Getting worried about that. I have even stated that the excess can be raised to whatever they like (e.g 10k). I'm really only after cover in the event of the house burning down or something. But still no quote coming through.

It would be nice to at least be told when making a claim "Do you realise you will never get quoted for insurance again???" At least then we'd know where we were. In that scenario I guess a lot of people would go for a stripped down "disaster insurance" rather than the usual contents etc.

An opening for a Ryanair model in insurance? Do Quinn offer stripped down insurance with those kinds of excesses?

That would be a good model, insurance for the disaster, and dont worry about the rest of the benefits, cause if you claim against them, you get absolutely no cover. Its a bit sickening? Is there any regulator people can complain too?

S

I have 2 policies with 123 that have recently expired.

First jumped from €100 to over €200 and they would only come down to €170. I promptly left 123 and got a €100 quote and policy from getcover

Second jumped from €380 to €760. The guy phoned me and immediately reduced it to €476 without any hassle. I then checked getcover who were another €20 cheaper - told this to 123 and they matched it. I stayed with them as we had some jewellery on the policy and didn't want to do the messing around with valuations with a new insurer.

We are with Allianz and they quoted us 596 this year up frim 400 last year. Haggled them down to 409 with lower excess and accidental damage which they had also sneakily removed from previous year!

Read policy carefully as would have thought my accidental cover would remain if taken the previous year. also they were increasing the excess to 750 which thought was very high. This was 125 last year but minimu excess this year is 250.

Finally got a quote today. 1485 euro
Last year's policy was 390
I am really really annoyed that I can be put in this situation by insurance companies. I really think that 123 have breached their obligations also by not providing option for renewal or alternative quote.

123 are not brokers, they are merely tied agents. They fell out with Zurich so you are at the mercy of travellers.

123 have done nothing illegal. I have looked into it carefully.

Back