Life what effect does "depression" have on life assurance or mortgage protection premiums?

Re: what effect does "depression" have on life assurance or mortgage protection premi

Read the original psoters question. I think its amoral how these companies are allowed to made their accessments. This should be addressed. I get it you dont and no one should say boo to them. Where does the dishonesty really lie? I would not let the like of these companies define what is honest with their declarations to me.
Life assurance companies and big brother may be in bed with you, but people know right and wrong and dont need an insurance company to define whats honest when they are exploiting their position for what is a neccessary evil to get a mortgage.

Re: what effect does "depression" have on life assurance or mortgage protection premi

A person who has made a recovery from depression has made a fantastic personal achievement and they have come out the other side a stronger person with a different attitude to life and a willingness to understand and help others in the same predicament with a degree of compassion that persons who have not been through it cannot start to understand. Sometimes they feel they have recovered and it is a bit of a set back when they realise an insurance company because of a loading imposed or a postponement doesn't share the same view. As the recovery period increases insurers do take a different view. They are more willing to insure and more willing to offer a loading that reflects the recovery period. Eventually most persons who have suffered from depression in the past and who have made a complete recovery with no relapses can celebrate when they obtain insurance at standard rates. It is my belief that persons who have been down that road are indeed an asset to society.

We can agree on that then. Just wish this was done in a more fairer manner than the testimony of the couple of posters who came on here mid tread and told of their experiences with LA companies after their depression.

A friend of mine is claiming on a policy due to death of the partner. The insurance company wrote to various Doctors (going back a long time) checking to see if there was a pattern of depression that may not have been disclosed on the forms. Thankfully, there was none. I would urge anybody to always be be fully truthful on these forms.

I would like to meet the person who had their requirement for life assurance waivered by a lender. companies hide behind such rules as excuses for the inexcusable.

Lenders decide whether or not to waive life cover. What has this got to do with life assurance companies?

Just wish this was done in a more fairer manner than the testimony of the couple of posters who came on here mid tread and told of their experiences with LA companies after their depression.

Okay - a person is applying to a life assurance company with a history of depression. What do you think the life assurance company should do?

1 nothing, didn't say it did. Just making the point how useless a statment like this, which you made is, as it's never going to be the reality. Just something for the industry to hide behind.

2. You are not reading my posts so I'm not going to repeat myself. They should not be allowed to put some of the posters who posted earlier in the position they were put in. They should be more closely regulated. I am going to leave it at that as you have your view and clearly not interested in looking at this from outside the insurers view. If you are then read earlier posts fully and properly. You are going around in circles.

So it seems the life assurance industry, lenders and various governments are colluding to cause difficulty for the general public.

Yet apart from sweeping generalisations like "They should not be allowed..." or "They should be more closely regulated", you cannot come up with a specific suggestion as to what these institutions should do to help people with health issues applying for life assurance.

If you have any specific ideas, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I think I'll leave it at that.

How about not paying out for suicide as depression in itself does not kill anyone.
AGAIN please have the courtesy to read all posts correctly and completely as I have better things to do than to repeat myself. You may not like the answers but thats your probllem not mine.. I am concerned at addressing the issues around the posters question.

At last - a suggestion.

Unfortunately not a workable one. If life assurance companies excluded suicide, where would this leave the families of the many unfortunate families whose loved ones take their own lives every year? Over four hundred peope every year die by their own hand in Ireland alone. Would you like to tell a grieving widow that as well as losing her husband, their life assurance policy won't pay out so she's burdened with a mortgage / debts etc?

AGAIN please have the courtesy to read all posts correctly and completely as I have better things to do than to repeat myself.

I have read all of your posts in this thread and this is the first one where you've made an actual suggestion. You don't need to take this tone just because someone disagrees with your opinion.

You may not like the answers but thats your probllem not mine.

Wrong again - I don't have a problem with your answers at all - I just disagree with them.

The regulation that should be in place was not a suggestion. You are reading but not hearing. Treated Depression should not be allowed to be accessed outside a certain time such as 2 years standard, but as that does not exist people can decide for themselves. Would just made sure there is no red flags on your history to allow these weasels not to pay out, as the last thing you definitely dont want to do is pay premiums to their like for them to renege.

Dont understand how a person can be made feel like the posters friend and somehow thats OK with some... Thats inhumane and morally perverse. I would ponder that..

Some love the last word so I'll give it to you.

No thanks. I've already rebutted all of your arguments above, if you'd only read my posts more carefully. As you haven't added anything new, I've nothing more to say.

But if "having the last word" is important to you, go right ahead. See ya.

I would imagine that very few people have not suffered from some form of "depression" at some point in varying degrees.

Back