Motor Minor Tip this morning - person going to claim

The fact is the person could have genuinely suffered an injury. You don't need to have a massive impact causing damage to the car, or be aware of pain, or similar at the scene. A simple jolt at the wrong moment may be all it takes. You get people who miss judge a step and cause themselves an injury. Which is why is so hard to distinguish genuine from fraudulent claims.

Sorry for your trouble -- this happened to a friend before, a minor tip, the person who was hit chatting and laughing at the scene but went straight to hospital for x-rays and did successfully sue.
I saw a small crash today and the people were taking photographs of the crash and not moving out of the way of traffic, just wondering what is the correct procedure if you do have a minor tip?? Should the OP have insisted on having garda at the scene??

Have you the names of the Gardai that saw your vehicle and where they are stationed. Contact them and ask them if they could make a note of what they saw and tell them you may require them at some time to support your position. Accidents involving injury to a person are supposed to be investigated by Gardai where they are informed. In your case there does not appear to be anyone guilty of any serious motoring offence. It will be just a statistic. Do you have any particulars of the other party. I had one of those claims against me and had difficulty in keeping the Ins co from settling it. I won it court but that was before the Personal Injuries Board were in operation

thanks for all the information guys

i reported and got 2 guards to witness my car yesterday after the event.

i also may have a witness, a guy handing out newspapers at the lights where it happened. he can confirm it was really bad conditions, cars were bumper to bumper and it was rush hour and that the person involved simply drove off when asked to call the gardai and she did not look at all shocked or in pain.

re: her having an actual injury, not a chance. if that was the case bumper cars would be made illegal. the force experienced in a bumpin car would have been i reckon 10 times the magnitude of the force of the tip yesterday. this was a tip i must reiterate.

i havent heard anything from the person involved since but i assume she is processing the claim.

I wonder would it be worth texting her back and explain youve gone to the guards and have witnesses etc. indicating that any claim is a load of nonsense?

A few year ago I was side swiped and the whole side of the car was bashed in and the car wriiten off, but I had no injuries, people are trying it on. I thought modern cars were fitted with head rests to prevent neck injuries, also did here air bags go off? and why not?

A few year ago I was side swiped and the whole side of the car was bashed in and the car wriiten off, but I had no injuries...

That seems to infer because you had no injuries anyone in an accident of that severity or less should also have no accidents.

Life is not that simplistic.

Just to put you in the picture, There does not have to be damage on either bumper to have caused inner damage to either vehicle. With plastic bumpers, they are flexible. They flex in-wards, cause damage and retreat to origional position. I have seen thousands worth of damage with little or no sign of impact on vrhicles. The guards would not be in a position to confirm there was no damage unless they are qualified to know what to look for..nor would the paper seller...

We live in a claim culture society, with very few honest folk about. You have to hope chancers can be weeded out .

A few year ago I was side swiped and the whole side of the car was bashed in and the car wriiten off, but I had no injuries, people are trying it on. I thought modern cars were fitted with head rests to prevent neck injuries, also did here air bags go off? and why not?

And I had the opposite experience a few years ago - car ran into the back of me at very slow speed, only damage to the car was a flake of paint off my bumper, but I spent the next 6 months getting physio for whiplash. The headrest was of no benefit because it happened at the top of an off-ramp, and I was looking to my right watching for oncoming traffic.

(no claim made by me, by the way).

Do airbags activate for a rear-end crash? Thought they'd only activate for head-on or side-on collision?

Being in an accident is unpleasant but you have to accept it happened

If you hit someone from behind, you are at fault
The Insurance company can decide on the claim without your input or agreement
Damage is not always obvious to either car or person
Some people do claim falsely, some do not
Car repairs are expensive

Grit your teeth, it's the reason you got insurance in the first place.

Do airbags activate for a rear-end crash? Thought they'd only activate for head-on or side-on collision?

I assume it depends on the airbag system. Many aren't triggered by low speed frontal impacts either. Thats by design.

I think you should involve the guards even at this late stage. Give your version of events.
It could be that she had no tax or insurance or NCT. Why did she stop you ringing the guards. ?
Make her sweat for her money.

I doubt the Guards will have any input on this. It will be the insurance companies decision as to what happens from here. You need to chase the insurance company so they don't settle without telling you.

...I suppose you can update them. But what will they do?

the guards witnessed my car there and took a statement. they laughed when they seen car and dont think i have anything to worry about. she refused to get a guard and ambulance at the scene so surely that would go against her

Back