hedge trimming disturb birds nesting?

johnd

We have a six foot hedge that badly needs trimming but we also have birds in our garden who nest there every year. Other years we were able to trim the hedge early but were unable to so this year and were hoping to do it this weekend if possible. We are talking here about nine inches from top and sides. Also, would the noise from the hedge trimmers cause the birds to leave the garden.

Any advice gratefully received

It would definitely affect the birds especially if they are nesting. There is actually a "directive" which prohibits cutting back hedgerows from 1st March till 31st August. I would imagine it is more directed to Rural areas rather than urban, but its aim is to protect nesting bird and wildlife.

Secman

It would definitely affect the birds especially if they are nesting. There is actually a "directive" which prohibits cutting back hedgerows from 1st March till 31st August. I would imagine it is more directed to Rural areas rather than urban, but its aim is to protect nesting bird and wildlife.

Thank you that's what I thought too - they look a right mess though and what they will look like at end of August? Neighbours already complaining!

What species birds nest is in your garden? If you know this you could find out when the fledglings will have left and the nest is empty. Then you can cut back the hedge.

The alternative would be to do it with a manual hedge clippers - would be far less distruptive to the birds - plus great exercise!

Webbs - to be honest I haven't a clue. Not very well up on birds I'm afraid. Just know the hedge is usually full of them all summer. Glad to hear i can cut it manually. That will help to take the wild look off it :)

Just to say Johnd (before you get into trouble!) I don't know if you are allowed to cut using manual means - best to check online - I think Enfo would be able to advise as to whether manual cutting is allowable.

See [broken link removed]. Legislation does not apply to garden hedges. But still, would be nice to placate your human neighbours without ruffling feathers...
Leo

Sorry am being a little slow here, why would you not be able to cut your garden hedge (if you planted it and not a wild hedgerow) manually with a pair of garden shears as opposed to a powered hedge trimmer?

Sorry am being a little slow here, why would you not be able to cut your garden hedge (if you planted it and not a wild hedgerow) manually with a pair of garden shears as opposed to a powered hedge trimmer?

Did you check the link I provided above? You can cut your garden hegde how you want, when you want.

There is legislation in place to protect wildlife in rural settings during the nesting season.
Leo

Back