Stamp required on letter to Taxman?

Carramore

I know it won't make or break me, but am I supposed to put a stamp on a letter to the taxman? On a wider level, in what circumstances is a stamp NOT required on a letter (other than FREEPOST)?

I am open to correction, but I have heard that anything you post to the State (social welfare, revenue, etc) can go without a stamp. Certainly I don't put stamps on anything I have to send those departments and they always receive them.

I always put 'Freepost' on anything to revenue, social welfare etc. I was ticked off a few weeks ago by the lady working in our local post office as I needed to get a cert of postage for my letter and she told me that I should have a licence number on it (the one that would be on the prepaid envelopes from revenue etc) so she charged me 55c to post that one. I still just put the 'freepost' on the rest of them and post them in the postbox.

I always write 'EIRE' in the centre of the top of the envelope for post to state departments.

All government departments have Freepost licences so posting without a stamp is okay as it will be paid for at the delivery end.

I always write 'EIRE' in the centre of the top of the envelope for post to state departments.

I've never heard of this before. Is there some background to doing this? I always use "Freepost" on first line of the address.

I remember an accountant of old who used to draw a little map of Ireland (north included!) in the stamp position, on all correspondence with gov dept and revenue.
He never stamped anything to Gov.

All government departments have Freepost licences so posting without a stamp is okay as it will be paid for at the delivery end.

Thanks. I didn't realise that.

So, is it sufficient just to write FREEPOST?

I've never heard of this before. Is there some background to doing this? I always use "Freepost" on first line of the address.
I think it's use stemmed from the ''harp'' symbol that appears on passports & appears on the top middle of government issued envelopes.

OK, it seems that all Revenue Forms have a return address in the following format:

upload_2017-3-29_9-3-46.png

I presume that the Civil Service generally is the same.

I hope the original poster isn't going to complain about his local Post Office closing!

Is there a central web location where these FREEPOST addresses are available. Like other posters, I've had post sans stamp refused by the post office unless it is contained in a pre-printed, Deepartmintal envelope.

As far as I can remember FREEPOST was the term that was introduced when free posting to An Post became the only Gov Dept allowed. Posting to all other Depts required a stamp unless a FREEPOST envelope or instruction was provided.

Back