7 Seaters- SUV's v People carriers

Delboy

Need to upgrade the car as another baby on the way and the car we currently have won't cut the mustard soon.

I know there's some threads on here where this has been discussed in various forms but am looking for an update and actual people's experiences.
Have looked at Santa Fe's, Sorrento's and 5008's so far (though will be looking at others in the coming weeks).....the SUV's have the looks! but seem to be 2ltr plus, while the 5008 is more around our current car's size at 1.6.

They all seem to have very little boot space when the back row of seats are up> is that people's take on all 7 seaters, both SUV and People carrier?
And the middle row...can they all take 3 child seats (for baby through to a 4 year old for example)?

So if anyone has any advice or experience they'd like to share, I'd be very grateful.

I can't speak of the larger vehicles but can offer opinion on the 5008. Ours is a 2010 model and we have it almost 3 yrs now.

My wife is the one that uses it primarily and she says she's very comfortable driving it. The back seats are individual as opposed to bench and are all equipped with isofix. They can all be moved forward and back independently of one another which can be handy. It's true that there's very little storage space if using the pop up boot seats also but that goes for all comparable cars.

We have 3 kids. The eldest two are 10 and 8 and both are tall, 150cm+. Neither have any comfort in the boot seats anymore. We use them when picking up cousins or carrying an extra child to a match etc etc, never for long runs really. If you would need to use the boot seats regularly consider the height of the kids now vs how long you'd see yourself keeping the car.

You'll read plenty about electrical issues in Peugeot, Citroen and Renault cars. Also there's many who will be negative about build quality, citing plastic knobs falling off, rattles etc,etc. We've had no such issues to date.

Finally, two things. The Peugeot engine has a dpf. If the car is to be used primarily for short runs it is advisable to run it at high revs for a while once a month or so, or to ensure that it gets a good long drive each month. This should help to prevent the dpf from getting clogged up. Oil. Never never scrimp and use other than the recommended oil. A world of pain awaits those who do.

(All that being said, if I could have justified the extra cost I would have bought an SMax.)

I was in brand new kia clarens recently, couldnt imagine any child being comfortable in pop up seats, roof seems very low also...seats so square and short in height...boot space tiny when two seats up, ud hardly fit a buggy...impossible to go on holidays with suitcases etc....was shocked, esp re price....there was plenty room in front seats but tight even in back back seats...

The seats sizes and boot sized vary a lot between MPV's. You be best going looking at them. There's mid sized MPV's and full sized one's. See which ones have spare wheels as many don't. Might be an issue if you do a lot of long trips.

I don't like SUV's. I feel like I'm driving a transit when I'm behind the wheel.
The X5 is the exception but it's stupid money and not very big inside.
People carriers are bigger inside and feel more like cars. The Ford Galaxy is probably the biggest (but it's boxy and a bit ugly). The S-Max is better looking but not quite as big. The 5008 looks good inside and out but I've never driven one.
For passenger space and comfort I'd definitely go for a people carrier ahead of an SUV (and people are less likely to think you're an ass-orifice if you aren't in an SUV).

Thanks all.

Kids are 4, 2 and a new arrival due in Autumn. Am looking at 2011/2012 reg and would plan to hold for 5 or so years. By then #4 should be on the scene and that'll be the end of that!

We don't do much driving at all...12-15k km's per annum. A long trip or 2 every month down the country, and short runs occasionaly during the week in Dublin.

I'm not a car person but do like something that has some looks. Just think that the People carriers are ugly, but may have to get over that!
Quashqai +2 would be my choice but OH is against it as it's too small she reckons. From looking at pics online, that seems to be the case

I ruled out the Quashqai +2 on size Delboy. When you get around to actually going out and looking at the cars I'd imagine you'll do so too.

I'm not sure if the newer model CMax has three individual back seats. If it does it may well be worthy of consideration also.

Citeron C4 Grand Picasso is working beautifully for us for the past 3 years. 09 model, 2.0L diesel. No major issues as of yet. Rear parking sensors packed up under warrenty but sorted out quickly.
The 2 "pop up" seats in the back are used on a regular basis. We have 3 kids (5, 7, 8) and they all want their turn in the back. Not large enough for an adult on a long journey. When seats are folded plenty of boot space. All rear seats are individual and more quiet freely so no matter who or what is the back there's always plenty of space.
The 2.0L is only €350 approx tax for the year. Good milage. Good driving position. Plenty of cubby holes - THE ONLY DRAWBACK - there is no spare wheel. There is a can of this puncture repair stuff that I have no idea how it works but its supposed to be good enough to drive the car on until you to get to a garage.
Best of luck.

Agree with the C4 Picasso, all of the seats are very comfortable, and the middle row easily accommodates 3 full size child/baby seats.
I had a Renault Grand Scenic, again the back seats are great, individual and my older tall kids love them. There is very little boot space with the Scenic when the seats are all up, but that seems to be true with all of the 7 seaters pretty much. Its a 1.6l so not too bad on the tax.

The Citroen's and Renault's get such bad reviews normally, that I'd ruled them out straight away

The Citroen's and Renault's get such bad reviews normally, that I'd ruled them out straight away

The C4 Picasso gets 4 or 5 stars from What Car, Auto Car, Auto Express and the Telegraph.
The [broken link removed] ranks it as "Poor" though.
It's a stereotypical Citroen; well designed but badly built.

Renault have the same build quality (if not worse) and they look and feel terrible.

There is a can of this puncture repair stuff that I have no idea how it works but its supposed to be good enough to drive the car on until you to get to a garage.

Fine for most punctures, but won't work if there's any significant tyre damage.

In that case you must bear in mind that the 5008 and the Picasso are in many respects one and the same. Same engine, same chassis and many components are interchangeable.

That's why I included Peugeot with Citroen and Renault as often getting poor press in my first post regarding the 5008.

In that case you must bear in mind that the 5008 and the Picasso are in many respects one and the same. Same engine, same chassis and many components are interchangeable.

That's why I included Peugeot with Citroen and Renault as often getting poor press in my first post regarding the 5008.

Cheers...yeah, all French but the 5008 having won so many awards, plus I've seen some good reviews on various sites that I had ruled it in. Second thoughts now.
Why are Ford's such ugly cars that date so quickly (and I currently drive a Ford!)!

Have a Diesel Toyota Verso - it has seven seats with a tiny boot or 5 seats with a huge boot. The reason we got it was the three full seats in the back and the further two full seats in the boot. All have 3 point seatbelts so in theory you could accomadate quints :eek:

Examples

Very happy with it but not cheap second hand like the citroens etc. We bought new as we could not get one second hand for any sensible price. We will keep it forever (again this distorts second hand market as people who buy them tend to hang on to them).

Here is an example

Basically a van with seats but big big big.

[broken link removed]

There are a couple on carzone could be a hard sell to OH though.

Or maybe a bus :)

Mazda 5 with sliding doors!! Great value for money, very fuel efficient and ultra reliable. We are on to our second one.

I don't know about reviews but I had a big citreon for 6 years, was third hand when I got it and it was used extensively. In 6 years I had to get a new battery and a couple of new wheels, and a replacement key. That was it, not another penny into it.

Had a renault now for 2 years and its just as reliable so far. Two new tyres, thats all I've had to do. Neither of them ever broke down.

There's a big version of the C-Max as well.
Probably more reliable, in general, than the French cars.

Having just moved from a 5 litre Merc ML5 to a Ford Bmax, I think I might actually recommend that you look at the SMax. We're in France at the mo, they're all over the place, just behind the Picasso.

Back