Doors - Internal- so disappointed in quality

BIK30

So unhappy with my new doors!

Engineered walnut they mark so so easily its unbelievable, also got some with glass and the glue stains on the wood it awful
Has anyone any tips/advice on how to:

a) remove glue stains from the wood

b) fill in the marks that appear on every door I have (22) its terrible, white underneath

thanks

What finish has been applied to the walnut? Oil? Varnish?

Are these white marks indents or scratches? Are they deep?
Leo

If they had glue stains on them when you got them you should take it up with the supplier, you shouldn't have to clean glue stains yourself off brand new doors

The doors sound like they are engineered softwood with a walnut veneer. If so, about the only thing you can do with chips and dents is find a filling wax in the same colour.

If they were sold to you as "engineered walnut" and priced accordingly I would be revisiting the supplier...!!!

Regarding the glue, dubgem is right, you should take this up with the manufacturer/supplier.

Out of interest, what brand/make are the doors?

I recall a certain make that used to have quite a bit of what seemed like clear silicon around the glass panels that you could just pick/roll/peel off. A pain in the proverbial to do but it didn't damage the finish.

Some of my internal doors have twistered and will not go on the catch, is there a fix?

Some of my internal doors have twistered and will not go on the catch, is there a fix?

Do you mean actually twisted or just expanded? I had a problem with the old internal doors expanding a few yrs back and the carpenter planed some of them. There were some old doors that simply couldn't be fixed and I had to replace them. I put in a new front door last year, and the carpenter said there was a very slight warp in it. He recommended I keep it shut & locked as often as possible and the kink would disappear. It did after a few weeks and no problem now.

Depending on how long you've had them you need to go back to the supplier.

However...

What type of doors are they? If they are solid timber (deal, for example) hung in a new build before it's properly dried out you may not have any comeback. Also, if they weren't stored flat before you hung them, that may also invalidate any recourse against the supplier.

BIK30. Veneered doors are not durable or upto any abuse. The slightest knock will mark them. Problem is the cheap rubbish wood used to make the core of the door. Sometime if you are lucky it's furniture grade chipboard but the nasty doors are made with really bad softwood which does not give the veneer any backing. When they get marked the only thing you can TRY is rub a wood stain that is the closest to the original colour and then when that dries rub some danish oil or water based vanish on to the mark. But to be honest any time I have repaired doors for people, you always know the mark is there. It just takes the worst out of it. You also can't sand them because the veneer is tissue thin. As for the glue stains, if they are hung I would say the supplier will not entertain you. So many of the finished timber products I deal with have written on the packaging 'Blemishes or marks must be brought to the suppliers attention before this product is fitted' or something along those lines. Same as tiles - don't ring us when they are on the wall and you have found a mark on a tile. Unfortunately real walnut doors cost in the region of 400 quid a go. The veneered doors are rarely a good investment as they are not unto much. Sorry

I want to change my internal doors so what is the best type of door to get that wont cause any problems down the road.

Back