European City Break

Lambchops

Hi,

Myself and my other half are hoping to take a European city break around April/May timeframe. We are both in our mid 30's and are interested in the same things - pretty city, easy to get around, nice cafes/bars/restaurants and good shopping. We would also like to take in a few sights. Probably thinking a 3 night break?

I have "narrowed" it down to - Prague, Amsterdam, Budapest, Bruge, Brussels, Vienna.

I have been to Barcelona and LOVE it but would like to try something different. Have also been to Madrid and liked it but preferred Barca.

Also any ideas on things to do and accomadation would be greatly appreciated Thanks :) x

Bruge for 2 nights and Brussels for 1 might be a good idea. I did that before and really enjoyed it. Plenty to do in both and easy to access via the airport by train.

I had a great break in Budapest in December, lovely city people were very friendly (unlike what we had heard beforehand), some great little ruin bars, some nice restaurants and amazing cafes.

This museum was great but obviously very grim
http://www.terrorhaza.hu/

This was a cool art nouveau house with lovely furniture from the early 20th century
[broken link removed]
It's worth a little trip and is very near the Parliament Building.

Berlin is another superb city for a weekend visit, loads to see and do and amazing night life.

The house of terror is an absolute must see in Budapest. You can tie in Vienna with Budapest, it's a 2 hour drive. I would do 2 nights in Vienna, one in Budapest or vice versa.

here are 2 great restaurants for a special dinner in Budapest.
http://www.aranykaviar.hu/english/ phenomenal tasting menu, order it with the vodkas!
a 12 - 14 course tasting menu, at least 4 dessert courses. incredible!

then after a night out, the best shwarma or kebabs are at Szeraij
http://belvaros.blogspot.com/2009/06/szeraj-torok-etterem-es-gyorsbufe.html This place has the highest restaurant turn over in the city!

I've been to all mentioned. Prague for that time of year would be my choice. It's more romantic than the others. Plenty of sights. Lots of bars and places to eat to suit all pockets. Any of the multi-site hotel price checkers will find you accommodation within your budget range.
Recommend the bridges, old town square, Wencesclas square, Prague castle and surroundings, Petrine, Vysherad, free walking tour, night at the opera (State opera). Trams are frequent, punctual, easy to navigate, easy to walk the city, cherry blossoms in bloom in May and old tradition to kiss your beloved under a cherry blossom. Enjoy your trip!

Same as previous poster, I have been to all of them, and all are worth a visit. I second Prague. Loads to see and do, and a very romantic city.

Consider Maastricht as well. Cheap to fly to. Bus from airport drops you in the city. Lots of restaurants and bars and hard to get Belgian beers to sample.

Thanks All. I think that I have decided on Prague...but knowing me that could change! lol

Any suggestions on where to stay - good hotels - nice restaurants - or any tips? Thanks.

Couldn't recommend Budapest highly enough, was also in Prague !! Greater diversity of things to see and do in budapest

+1 for Gambrinus !

Check out Chez Marcel on Haštalská, a lovely little relaxed French restaurant, red-and-white-chequered tablecloth type place, lovely food.
Also Ambiente Pasta Fresca on Celetna - we couldn't believe how good the food was for reasonable prices when we had not so great experiences elsewhere.
Have been to Prague three times and these were the two places that stand out for us!

Accommodation - as a previous poster said, check out the various sites for this but I would advise not staying on Wenceslas Sq., its a bit tacky , think O'Connell St - there are nicer places to stay! We stayed once in Wenc Sq (wouldn't do it again), once in Boscolo (lovely but very pricey and oh my god don't have dinner there, we got fleeced) and once in Ibis in Namesti Republiky - which I believe was owned by our very own Sean Quinn. Ibis was a GREAT location, but basic enough room, bed & pillows were not great but I would consider it again for the location and price. My brother stayed in the Clarion Old Town and said it was great, that might be a good one.

As previous poster also said the tram system is great and www.dpp.cz/en/ will tell you exactly how to get from A to B by bus, tram, walking combination - it's a great site, so handy for checking out tram stops near a hotel you're looking at.

The bus & tram from the airport into the city is great and very quick for the distance travelled and sssooooo cheap. A 24-hour ticket for all transport is about €1.10, you can buy the tickets at the airport transport desk (no machines unfortunately) or most tobacconists/kiosks, then stamp it when you first board a bus/tram and its valid for 24 hours from then, you don't need to stamp it everytime you board a tram.

I love Prague......just in case you're not getting that......!

Brussels fab, however best city break we ever had was olso.....despite the currency change n cost of everything....5 nights in both cities....

Have to agree, I just loved Prague and can't wait to go back but my all time favourite has to be Nice. Ticks all your boxes, short flights,easy access to city centre,very easy city to get around, fab restaurants, the old town and the sea. It's a great time weatherwise to visit.
Enjoy

Back