Old joint mortgage affecting my ICB rating

moondance

Here's my situation -
Took out joint mortgage in 2004 to build a house with (now) ex-boyfriend. The house was on his father's land which was transferred to partner's name and when we split up, we decided that he would just continue paying the mortgage on his own and keep the house. I moved out, he gave me a small lump sum and that was that. Had no contact with him in last 9 years.

I subsequently applied for a mortgage on my own in 2007 and have been paying that ever since.

I applied for a personal loan a couple of weeks ago and was refused based in ICB report. I requested report and it turns out that ex-boyfriend was in arrears with mortgage payments and this is affecting my credit rating. Can I ring the bank and ask to be removed from this mortgage without contacting ex? I have no interest in getting in touch with him. I didn't even give this other mortgage a thought and presumed I wasn't even on it but obviously not!

Hi moondance

You are jointly and severally liable for the outstanding mortgage. That is the nature of joint mortgages.

They are unlikely to remove you from the mortgage if he is in arrears as they can contact you looking for payment.

Unpleasant as it is, you need to contact your ex and try to resolve it. It's unlikely that the bank will deal with you on your own.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan. The mortgage was in arrears but is no longer in arrears. It's because it had been in arrears 12 months ago that my credit rating is affected. I'll call the bank tomorrow and see what they say.

Back